Female danio looks fat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

75gallon

Reaction score
I have a zebra danio, that looks fat, it swims fine no struggles, eats fine, the reason for the post is, I have other danios in the tank show breeding behaviour with this danio,
My worry is this danio doesn't seem to be dropping eggs, there is no sign of dropsy, in my tank,

Food
Tropical flake
Bloodworm

Water
PH 6.4
Ammonia 0pmm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Water is slightly blue due to treating the tank with Methylene Blue,

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_144433.jpg
    IMG_20211125_144433.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20211125_131216.jpg
    IMG_20211125_131216.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211125_150123.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150123.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 57
Oh, I thought it was blue from blue LED lights. Never heard of treating a tank with methylene blue. Why is that done?

Sorry, I’m unfamiliar with your fish. I’d do lots of googling & see many photos & what others say.

Why are you putting Methylene Blue in the tank?
It wipes out filter bacteria and if you use it for a long period of time, you can create drug resistance in harmful bacteria.

The danio is a female with eggs. They develop eggs when kept in warm water. Ideally zebra danios should be kept in water with a temperature 16-20C and let it increase in spring/ summer when they should start to breed.

The female might be or might become egg bound and there isn't anything you can do if that happens. If you have males, try separating the males and females for 5 days and then putting them back together in a shallow tank (tank with 6-8 inches of water in) and have the temperature a couple of degrees warmer than normal. Have lots of plants in the tank and see if they breed.

Methylene Blue (also known as methylthioninium chloride) is a cationic dye, redox indicator, and photosensitizer. In aquaculture, it serves as an anti-fungal and anti-parasitic and has commonly been used to treat fish eggs to ensure they are not lost to fungal overgrowth. Methylene Blue is an aquarium-safe disinfectant and can also be used for the treatment of ammonia and nitrite poisoning,

I added methylene blue 9 days ago, as I had a fungal and parasite problem, as instructions read, add the MB to the tank and leave it for 7 days before doing a water change, I have done 2 X 20% water changes, in the last 2 days and will continue doing 20% each day until water is clear, I have added 5ml of bacteria each day to try and prevent my filter from crashing, luckily it seem to have worked.

Interesting, unaware of fish uses. I actually have some, ordered online a few years back when I saw dyed electric blue orchids & wanted to learn how. After all my experimentation, turns out they use common food color, placed in a tiny funnel in the stem, not injected.

Glad all worked out well for you! 👍👍👍

Methylene Blue is an aquarium-safe disinfectant and can also be used for the treatment of ammonia and nitrite poisoning,
Methylene Blue helps with that by increasing the oxygen level in the blood. However, it is preferable to get rid of the ammonia and nitrite with big water changes. Each to their own.

I myself do ginormous water changes ever since the husband rigged up my double siphon tank to toilet removal system & the pumped heated water from the cooler in the tub to the tank. So fast & easy.

Methylene Blue helps with that by increasing the oxygen level in the blood. However, it is preferable to get rid of the ammonia and nitrite with big water changes. Each to their own.
Tottaly agree with the ammonia and nitrite. Water change is best, it was used as a last resort, as I had used other fungus and parasites chemicals and non were working. Turns out it did help with the parasites, but need antibiotics for the fungal infection and I can't get hold of any (uk)

wouldn’t one use a fungicide not an antibiotic for a fungal infection?

Most reactions

trending

Back