• No way, not enough fin!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You can get those?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CraZ4fiSHieS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:D I personally L-O-V-E my female bettas. :wub: I have two lovely ladies, a red and a blue/green. They are curious, social, and know when its time to get their squirmy wormy treats! :p Just as much personality as the males without all that aggression! B) Let me know what you think! And dont gimme any of that, "They aren't as colorful" nonsense! Mine are just as colorful if not more so than some males I've seen! ;) Betta! Betta! BETTA!

I've always preferred the females--if I could breed my fish without the help of males.... And I think the females are as colorful as the males but just lack the exaggerated appendages :) plus they cohabitate together, interact with each other, if you put several different colors together they look like a prism rainbow flashing about the tank. I love 'em. The boys aren't quite as interesting to me because they are solo and tend to hang there looking at you [me] waiting for food, or they are only interested in flaring at each other (although I do have a favorite male). I think if the time ever comes when I no longer want to breed bettas, I'll probably keep a tank of females just because they are so great.

Is that your cat in the toilet? Siamese? I've got a flame-point siamese (well, red tabby point siamese) with siamese blue eyes. He's so sweet natured and so affectionate. But, thank god, he's not interested in the toilet!

Kinda one sided,

1 male, all alone in a tank,

Or many females getting along with eachother and a dozen bubble nests over head?

(i love the site of bubble nests)

I, of course, knew there must be females :fun: but I have not found any for sale, EVER. :blink:
Would someone please send me a picture of one or post it here?

So.....the females are not agressive.....could you then, put several in a tank with one male?

Could change my name to "Beta ignorant" lol.

Ok, lots of debates about keeping male and female bettas together in the same tank. Generally, male bettas are too aggressive to keep with other bettas (of either sex) unless they are breeding together--and then you only leave the female in with the male until she finishes releasing her eggs (then remove her or the male may kill her trying to protect his brood). There are some males that are so congenial, or disinterested, they can be with other bettas. A fish (male or female) who seems to be mellow and non-aggressive in a solo tank or in an all-female tank may become VERY aggressive when put with the oopposite sex. And although the males are thought to be aggressive, I've had several females who are just as nasty as males are and had to be kept solo--they'd even try to tear up any male I tried to breed them with.

Another factor is that although a male and female in the same tank may at first cohabitate nicely, attitudes can change real fast--one may decide he or she does suddenly want to breed and if the other is not willing (or ready), you can end up with a mutilated or dead fish. I've had females who are ready to breed but the male wasn't quite ready and she was literally tearing him apart trying to get him to cooperate--had to remove her before she damaged him beyong repair (she was going for his lips--bettas will sometimes aim for their opponent's lips to tear them off). Or they both may suddenly decide that they'd rather be lovers then just platonic friends and you'll come home to a tank full of eggs and a male trying to protect them (attacking or killing the mother) and you'll have to either kill the eggs before they hatch (24-72 hours after fertlization) or have to be prepared with baby betta food.

If you must put male and females together: provide LOTS of hiding places, lots of plants; get a tank big enough so none of hte fish feels crowded and don't overstock the tank; don't put too many females in with a male because they may form girl gang and kill him; 2 females will keep him busy and tired enough so the females don't get over-stressed; keep a close eye on them always because the dynamics can easily change very fast.

Most females can be kept together provided the tank is big enough. They will flare at each other, chase each other, even nip because bettas always have to establish and maintain a pecking order, even the females. Some get territorial (I have one who has staked out the sponge filter as her private paradise and chases everyone else away). But in general they will coexist and live happily together although there are always some females who are too aggressive to keep communally.

LiquidLife~

Yes that is my cat in the toilet :*) Hes quite a character. Picked up this nasty habit as a kitten watching a former roomate's bohemoth of a cat drink from it. That cat refused water from any place else! :S
I think Charlie has a bit of Siamese in him. His mommy got knocked up (scuse my word usage) so I dont really kno what hes got in him. Has beautiful blue eyes tho! :wub:

MrBink~

;) Dont worry about betta ignorance! I learned about them as I went! Great fish tho! :wub: I have a fuzzy pic here that I'll put up for ya. Sorry if u cant see her too well. :/ I can try to get a better one, but its hard gettin a good pic thru water! :thumbs: look for the pic in the fish pictures forum, mmmkay?

I have 3 males and 10 females. Many of the females have just as much if not more personality as the males. I love my female bettas. Infact I'm going to set up another 10 gallon tank with 4 fems and another male in a couple weeks. :fun:

I have to thank you all for posting the site on what a female betta looks like. I posted the question awhile back on the differences in the male and female and now have my answer.

My daughter does have a male and female it turns out. :D In separate tanks of course :lol: We put the female in the male tank once and he bit her tail off. This upset my daughter so much she separated the two, so the male now lays his bubble nest all by himself :crazy:

Most reactions

Back