Feel Like Quitting Fishkeeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have got to of had one of the worst few days ever. First the fight, then loosing bogie my chocolate cichlid, Chops the oscar knocking himself out being an idiot, then monday after water changing my massive 14" true parrots tank, I find the poor thing belly up, electrocuted by a faulty heater and sods law the new heaters I ordered for his tank turned up this morning :(, I suppose it was lucky he was the only fish in the tank.

Awww Star, we all go through patches of rough. It can make it tough to remember the good times. You've had a tough run of things, but there's still lots of good waiting out there for you.

Sorry to hear this Star, as Dr Rob mentioned, a lot of us go through similar bad luck patches during our fish keeping hobby.

Things WILL pick up before you know it :) 

Crikey we are both going through it today! (see my other threads) Really sorry to hear this, you have had a lot to deal with the past few weeks.

One thing I will say is, any fish in your house (and there are many!) are very lucky! You always do your absolute best for your animals and you have no reason to beat your self up with it! If they are problem behavior wise you do your best to separate them but if thats not possible then its just like in the wild, if they bite off more than they can handle nature takes over and there is little we can do to prevent that.

I always think the tank is the hobby and the fish are pets. And there are truly heartbreaking moments in this "hobby", but seeing the pets thriving every day because of the time and investment to learning about the hobby and making sure you are doing the right thing helps the balance for me. Though when things are as raw as they are for us both right now I can fully imagine selling up!

Wills

Thank you for your kind words :) Wills you are so right, my fish are pets. Some of them, as you know, are rescue's, some just given to me, others like Bogie, were rescued from god awful conditions and not to forget Chops the ocsar. Giving up is not really an option no matter how much I feel like it, who in their right mind would take on Chops.

Lol probably some crazy fish lady with a house full of tanks :p

You really do so much for your fish! And with a massive tank on its way that has to be pretty exciting!

Wills

I'd take Chops, if I was close enough!

Wills said:
Lol probably some crazy fish lady with a house full of tanks
tongue2.gif
Oh wait...that IS me!

Oh no! I just read what happened to wills then I read this, poor fish.
Everytime I walk past my tanks I do a head count and panic frantically till I see them swimming happily, I can honestly say that whatever is happening at that moment has to wait till I see all of my fish happy and well.
I can only imagine how horrible it would of been to wake up to that. Sorry for your loss x

OMG I am so sorry and I know the feeling well. I was going to break down my 100 Gal and just give the remaining fish away. Then get a lizard of something instead.  But in the end I could not bring myself to let the others go. 

Big cichlids are hard. The longer you keep them the more problems you run into. 

SO Sorry its the worst losing a big fish. 

Most reactions

trending

Back