Feeding Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
My dwarf gourami has a very big apetite :p. When he is finished eating flakes he seems to pretend he is king of the ocean and terrorizes everyone trying to find more food until he is full (I give him a little bit more when i see him chasing my cories :S). Is there anything out there that can feed my hungry gourami and keep him full? What do you guys use? Flakes just dont seem to be enough! :dunno:

Thanks!!
-Bunny ^_^

Bloodworms, Freeze dried brineshrimp, and FD krill (crushed up), are what I feed my fish, and they seem pretty full :thumbs:

Hi lilhurleybunny :)

Why not try feeding him AND the corys blackworms or tubifex worms? Corys should have this kind of meaty food in their diet and gouramis love them too. :nod:

If you can get live foods, I strongly recommend them or, you could get frozen. I prefer the live ones and while that might sound gross, it really isn't. If you get live food, here is the way to clean and take care of it:

It's very important to clean them when you bring them home and refresh them with another rinse daily.

To clean them, I use a 2 cup measuring cup that has a little spout to make pouring easier. Just add the worms and run cold tap water into them; they will separate and swirl around. Let them settle for a minute or so and pour the dirty water off. Repeat this procedure several times until the water runs out clear. Then pour all the water off, except for en ought to just cover them and store them in a covered dish in the refrigerator. Don't buy more than a few days supply at a time so that they will be at their best until they are used up.

Another good food is spirulina discs or algae wafers. Both your gourami and your corys will love them. And freeze dried tubifex are another good food to have on hand. I think that nothing compares to live foods, but these will do in a pinch. Just take a cube and hold it underwater until it softens. Then gently rub it between your fingers until the worms separate and float freely in the water. The gourami will eat them while they are floating and the corys will eat them from the bottom.

tubifex worms are a good food for gouramis, i also give gouramis vegetable matter such as cooked peas. betta pellets and bloodworms are also good foods, i also use a varity of foods at each feeding.

I feed my gourami on live food once a week and then a mix of algae tabs, flakes, microgran and freeze dried mix of lots of dead things all mushed together in a tablet that I cant remember the name of!

They were extraemly healthy until they lost colour and then I noticed that they have caught the god dam ich!!! :sick: :fish:

I know this is an old topic, but I can't find tubifex freeze dried, is there a place online to order this from? I usually do my fish food shopping in person! :p

Thanks for the link. I looked throughout PetSmart the other night for Tubiflex, but couldn't find it. I will check again tonight as I am stopping there.

I have always gotten Top Fin's freeze dried blood worms. I would like to try the Tubiflex worms.

I no longer have my bettas. :sad: I still have the pellets, so I can let my gouramis feast on them!

njnauticalnut said:
I no longer have my bettas. :sad: I still have the pellets, so I can let my gouramis feast on them!
Hi njnauticalnut :)

I don't think that would hurt at all. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back