Feeding Cichlid Pellets

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
ok so i thougth my fish were eating there food pretty quick at first but then i found it all still floating at the top and it had all gathered in the corner by the filter due to the current.

thats where it stays unfortunately.

is this the same for all cichlid pellets?? is there a way to make them sink?

my fish all stay pretty close to the bottom so barely even notice it when i feed them.

one of my labs is occasionally smart enough to make a dive for the top and grab some but thats it.

what do you guys do?

Mine actually eat the pellets but they take them slowly. It would appear they are used to being fed flakes as they hardly touch the surface. You could try feeding them flakes. I don't know if they are any good for them though.

guess ill have to wait and see if they figure it out.

they mite get better the more they get used to me bringin them the food.

ive been giving them normal flakes and they seem to love them.

probably jus cos they cant get to the pellets tho.....

HOUSEWIFE WALKS IN...
ok kids, you mean to tell me you never thought of Presoaking the pellets??
lolol I'm funnin with ya'll not to sound mean.

I know that pellets are a certain cause of bloat in many different cichlids so I soak mine in some tank water, just a lid from an old food can works fine also gives other, slower cichlids a chance to fill up if given after a feeding of flakes.

Just soak them while you go brush your teeth, dump them in and your good for the day :hey:

I find that if i throw them down into the tank then they sink. I wasn't too sure if feeding flakes would harm Cichlids??

Start Hi-jack...
Can anyone tell me for sure if you can feed flakes or not?

I even tried to feed some lettuce and carrots but they weren't in the slightest bit interested in them -_-
End Hi-jack..

Paul

Have you tried putting some in a net then put the net in the water and once they get wet enough move the net around so the food falls out then they should eat it. I feed my angels flakes and will try and get them some frozen blood worms for them to eat every now and then and some livebearer fry.

I keep african cichlids and have for going on 6 years, heres what I feed:
shrimp pellets
Bio Blend cichlid small fish food
Bio Blend herbivore
Bio Blend bottom feeder discs (@ night )
HBH cichlid attack
HBH sinking veggie bits
Omega one cichlid flake
Wardley flake
frozen cocktail shrimp
zuccinni (par boiled)

all of these are cycled, only the HBH food is given daily.

Most reactions

Back