Feeding Apple Snails

Larissa

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How do I know if my apple snail is getting enough to eat? I got a golden apple snail a few days ago, every night I have put a slice of cucumber in as well as an occasional algae wafer - which tends to get stolen by my fish - but is this enough? What else should I be giving him in terms of food (some sinking pellets maybe)? Any suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks, Larissa

My apple snail usually doesn't make it to any sinking foods as well. I feed mine cukes, zucchini, lima beans and lettuce (red leaf, green leaf and romaine, not iceberg). None of my fish are too interested in veggies, so the snail eats without being bugged.

Thanks, for the info. That makes me feel better - I will get some lettuce and zucchini to broaden his veg diet a bit.

Yeah thats a bperfect diet for apples :good: Most inexperienced people dont even feed them, expecting them just to live on algae... :unsure:

do you have any live plants mine eat algae and clean the plants (eat the dead leaves and etc), however if theres not enough food they will eat some live leaves.

Yep, I've got some live plants - mostly amazon sword, but so far Darwin (named so since he is highly evolved) has kept to cleaning them rather than eating them - so I assume he is not too hungry.

Yep, I've got some live plants - mostly amazon sword, but so far Darwin (named so since he is highly evolved) has kept to cleaning them rather than eating them - so I assume he is not too hungry.

I feed mine blanched lettuce, zucchini, and cucumber. He 'shares' it with my Oto...They always play a little game of tug of war over the lettuce, seeing a snail quite literally race after something else for food is the funniest thing you'll ever see.

I feed mine blanched lettuce, zucchini, and cucumber. He 'shares' it with my Oto...They always play a little game of tug of war over the lettuce, seeing a snail quite literally race after something else for food is the funniest thing you'll ever see.
:lol:

Drew

:lol:

Drew

seeing quite a few is even funnier
snailsfeeding.jpg

honest there is cucumber under that lot

oh there it is

snailsfeeding1.jpg

Quick question...?
Do you clean the skin off the zucchini and cucumber before you give it to them??
I have 4 apple snails and have only been feeding them algae waffers,
would love to throw some fresh veggies in there!

It looks like they love it! :drool:

Tattoo, how big is the tank with all of those snails, and what sort of filter do you have on it?

That's a god-awful mess of snails........:blink: Holy crap, lol.

Tattoo, how big is the tank with all of those snails, and what sort of filter do you have on it?

That's a god-awful mess of snails........:blink: Holy crap, lol.
this tank is only a 18inch cube it as a air driven corner filter.
i need to a 50% water change everyday.
no i dont peel the cucumber.

Most reactions

Back