Feeding Advice Please

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ive got Harlequin Rasboras and a Gold Gourami who have been eating well although the Harlequins tend to only eat the micro pellets. Ive since added Boesmani Rainbows who eat everything and go mental. The problem I have is making sure the Harlequins get their food as they are quite intimidated. Any tips?

At the moment I turn off the filter so some sits at the surface where the prefer to feed from.
 
I get a similar problem in my boys tanks with the Giant Danios, they eat everything. I now put food in both sides of the tank, while the Danios are busy one end, the other fish pick away at the other.
 
feed the rainbows with some vegetable matter first and when they are full or nearly full, then feed the harlequins.
Long term the rainbows might get too big for the harlequins and knock them about a bit when the males display and show off.
 
feed the rainbows with some vegetable matter first and when they are full or nearly full, then feed the harlequins.
Long term the rainbows might get too big for the harlequins and knock them about a bit when the males display and show off.

Interesting you say that. As soon as I added them they terrorised them so much so that I had to turn the filter off for a while to give them a chance of getting away. Then just as I was at despair the gold gourami decided to stamp his authority and chase the rainbows relentlessly. Now all are fine as the hierarchy has sort of been established I suppose. The problem is I really like the harlequins but do you think I should remove them?
 
I would leave the harlequins in the tank and monitor them. The rainbows will take a year or so to get to full size so there is plenty of time to worry about the harlequins. The main problem will be the male rainbows displaying to each other. Sometimes they get really excited and display to anyone in the tank. They can get a bit rough when displaying and a small harlequin might get chased around and nipped a bit.
If you have male and female rainbows in the tank they will be less inclined to show off to the harlequins.
 
I would leave the harlequins in the tank and monitor them. The rainbows will take a year or so to get to full size so there is plenty of time to worry about the harlequins. The main problem will be the male rainbows displaying to each other. Sometimes they get really excited and display to anyone in the tank. They can get a bit rough when displaying and a small harlequin might get chased around and nipped a bit.
If you have male and female rainbows in the tank they will be less inclined to show off to the harlequins.


I have 3 males and 3 females
 
I would leave the harlequins in the tank and monitor them. The rainbows will take a year or so to get to full size so there is plenty of time to worry about the harlequins. The main problem will be the male rainbows displaying to each other. Sometimes they get really excited and display to anyone in the tank. They can get a bit rough when displaying and a small harlequin might get chased around and nipped a bit.
If you have male and female rainbows in the tank they will be less inclined to show off to the harlequins.


I have 3 males and 3 females

If you are still around Colin T or anyone else... I also have Corys in with these and to complete my tank I was considering 2 Bolivian Rainbows/Rams which I have kept before and love. Would they be ok with these other fish?:

260l

6 Boesmani
7 Harlequin Rasboras
7 Sterbai Corys
1 Gold Gourami
 
yep Corydoras and Bolivian rams should be fine
 

Most reactions

Back
Top