Feeding a Peppermint Shrimp

mandi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I did a big "no-no" tonight and on impulse bought a peppermint shrimp for my nano-reef. I've been reading about them and I'm 99% sure that it IS a peppermint shrimp.

Anyway, I'm wondering what they eat? I know in freshwater aquariums, shrimp tend to be scavengers and you don't really need to feed them per-say. Is this also true of saltwater? Or what should I feed him?

Does your "peppermint shrimp" have a hump on its back? and is it red with white stripes? If this is so then its not a peppermint but actually a Dancing/camel shrimp :-( Whilst they do a good job at removing nusance aiptasias like peppermints do, they also like to much other corals too and can be quite a nuisance. Of your shrimp has no hump and is a pinky red with almost none distincts stripes then its highly likely its a peppermint.

As long as you are feeding the tank for the fish etc then you need not worry abotr the shrimp as it will scavenge.

Sadly I hope you enjoy seing it when you first added it because its probably the last you will see of it as these shrimps are extremly shy creatures and hardly ever venture forth into view :*) They are largely nocturnal and after the lights go out you might be lucky to see a glimps of them a few hours later.

Shrimps that tend to be bolder are cleaner shrimps. They will actively signal fish and are nomrally always oin display. Bloodshrimps (if kept in groups of 3 or more) will do the same behaviour

Thanks for all the info!

He definately doesn't have distinct stripes (he's practically clear) but he does have kind of a "hump" so I guess he could be the dancing/camel shrimp you mentioned.

Like you said, I only see him at night (if I sneak up on the tank). But I did snap a picture while he was still in the bag, though it's a bit blurry:

shrimp.jpg

Thankfully my nano-"reef" isn't much of a reef yet (no corals) so I guess I have nothing to lose in that manner. ;) Thanks for giving me a heads-up!

EDIT--
As soon as I hit "post" on this response, I look over at the tank, ansure enough the little booger put in an appearance. I grabbed the cam as quick as possible, but I only got two pics before he disappeared again. (Darn that actinic light -- it does crazy stuff with my camera!)

shrimpintank1.jpg
shrimpintank2.jpg

Im pretty sure its not a camel shrimp. The colours are too transparant.

Here is a photo of a camel shrimp.

Shrimp%201.jpg

This is a peppermint shrimp ;)
22454.jpg

Thanks, Navarre!!

Judging by the pics you posted, it definately looks like a peppermint shrimp! :D Hooray! I lucked out!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back