Votes: 15 23.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 11.1%

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
huh.png

What's wrong with neon castles? Have three in a 10 gal. betta tank.
In my own defence, my wife got them, and technicaly it is her tank, but she stole my betta.
Anyhoo the poop has reached hurricane proportions.

In before the next fling........

I don't think people enter just to win these things, it's a way of saying "Hey, look how far my tank has come" or whatever.  Would you rather see these competitions go away because the level of competition is low sometimes?

i think the tanks are great, way better than mine

Thedoctor said:

I may be a snob of sorts, but none of these tanks really jumped off the screen for me. I went back a few months and looked at the winners, and none of these compare. 
confused.gif

I'd actually like to say that even though I had entered this competition, I agree. I've not voted at all because my tank(well my partners but he let me enter it) isn't up to scratch anyway and there's none that really pop out at me. In the past there's been one or two that have really popped and I've had a hard decision to pick just one but I have always voted up till now. I to am just making an observation. I know this will make me hated which is not going to help me but I'm not expecting any votes anyway, I enter to enter not to win. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings and don't forget I'm saying this about my own tank as well. Maybe it's just the picture but my camera appears to hate taking pictures without the flash and when I put the flash on you can't see the tank so I had to settle with that. The colours come out great but the clarity...
confused.gif
So there's my piece said. I'm not saying I don't like the tanks or that everyone should follow suit, I'm just saying compared to past winners(including last months) they don't really work it for me enough to vote. Like I said, I do like the tanks. Especially TheDoctor's but compared to the past winners I'm just going to leave it. I'll go sit in my corner now while you all shout and scream at me for having an opinion. I don't want to cause an argument but it seems you're not allowed an opinion anywhere lately.

I feel like I'm not making my point clearly - But thank you for the compliment.

My point isn't to defend my tank to the death - It suits me with the little time I have but it's nowhere near what I want it to be, at all. But its a fairly new tank and with the little time I have it does exactly what I want a fish tank to do - Provides calming entertainment...something to just get lost in.

For example, my old setup looked like this 
380617_10150635376766637_1099110573_n.jpg

While this is crap in comparison to the majority of winners, I loved it because it was my first attempt at plants and was just so colourful and full of life. My current set up is quite baron and dull in comparison to my old set up and many/most tanks entered. I didn't enter to win, I entered because there were very few others that were and I happened to take a nice photo of the tank.

My main point is, tanks aren't created and maintained to win a forum award but for the enjoyment of the individual so you aren't guaranteed to get a jaw-dropping show stopping tank every month. Most of us don't have the time, money or expertise. But when someone does happen to put that tank in a tank of month competition have the good grace and courtesy to keep negative comments out of it unless there is constructive advice. I just think 'If you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all' is a great rule to live by. I'm all for constructive criticism but elitism is lame.

If anything..just be happy there are no neon castles... 
innocent.gif

that looks great, why did you rescape?

Oh well..

I remember winning Tank of the Month last year.. and yeah.. I ate poop along the way. It's part of any competition I guess. People will judge your work. Some are a bit nasty. That's life. No reason to be overly sensitive. =)

Sad times falls upon a forum when individuals cannot take a comment for what it is. Absolute innocence. Comparison of now versus then is no reason for everyone to jump on an individual. Except her opinion for what it is...HER opinion. Then move on like an adult.

That being said, I feel my post count will stay at 2 as I have no intentions on returning. The maturity level of this forum is very unbecoming of a group of knowledgeable hobbyists.

a7xAda said:
Sad times falls upon a forum when individuals cannot take a comment for what it is. Absolute innocence. Comparison of now versus then is no reason for everyone to jump on an individual. Except her opinion for what it is...HER opinion. Then move on like an adult.

That being said, I feel my post count will stay at 2 as I have no intentions on returning. The maturity level of this forum is very unbecoming of a group of knowledgeable hobbyists.

Thank you! At least someone get's what me and ThisOldSpouse were trying to say. Sorry you don't feel like coming back though :(

Questions? said:
i think the tanks are great, way better than mine

I may be a snob of sorts, but none of these tanks really jumped off the screen for me. I went back a few months and looked at the winners, and none of these compare. 
confused.gif

I'd actually like to say that even though I had entered this competition, I agree. I've not voted at all because my tank(well my partners but he let me enter it) isn't up to scratch anyway and there's none that really pop out at me. In the past there's been one or two that have really popped and I've had a hard decision to pick just one but I have always voted up till now. I to am just making an observation. I know this will make me hated which is not going to help me but I'm not expecting any votes anyway, I enter to enter not to win. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings and don't forget I'm saying this about my own tank as well. Maybe it's just the picture but my camera appears to hate taking pictures without the flash and when I put the flash on you can't see the tank so I had to settle with that. The colours come out great but the clarity...
confused.gif
So there's my piece said. I'm not saying I don't like the tanks or that everyone should follow suit, I'm just saying compared to past winners(including last months) they don't really work it for me enough to vote. Like I said, I do like the tanks. Especially TheDoctor's but compared to the past winners I'm just going to leave it. I'll go sit in my corner now while you all shout and scream at me for having an opinion. I don't want to cause an argument but it seems you're not allowed an opinion anywhere lately.

I feel like I'm not making my point clearly - But thank you for the compliment.

My point isn't to defend my tank to the death - It suits me with the little time I have but it's nowhere near what I want it to be, at all. But its a fairly new tank and with the little time I have it does exactly what I want a fish tank to do - Provides calming entertainment...something to just get lost in.

For example, my old setup looked like this 
380617_10150635376766637_1099110573_n.jpg

While this is crap in comparison to the majority of winners, I loved it because it was my first attempt at plants and was just so colourful and full of life. My current set up is quite baron and dull in comparison to my old set up and many/most tanks entered. I didn't enter to win, I entered because there were very few others that were and I happened to take a nice photo of the tank.

My main point is, tanks aren't created and maintained to win a forum award but for the enjoyment of the individual so you aren't guaranteed to get a jaw-dropping show stopping tank every month. Most of us don't have the time, money or expertise. But when someone does happen to put that tank in a tank of month competition have the good grace and courtesy to keep negative comments out of it unless there is constructive advice. I just think 'If you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all' is a great rule to live by. I'm all for constructive criticism but elitism is lame.

If anything..just be happy there are no neon castles... 
innocent.gif

that looks great, why did you rescape?

Thank you :)

My fish kept ripping up the plants and they all melted.

I've just ordered a boat load of Vallis so I'm looking forward to having another go. :) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing wrong with Neon castles or gravel...I used to have some myself...

innocent.gif

a7xAda said:

Why is an individual mature when stating their opinion but an individual having and opinion on that opinion immature??

IcK0T.jpg

Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.

As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.

a7xAda said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that. As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visit the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone hear who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.

I'm too used to Facebook because I want to like this so here goes lol *like* :)

a7xAda said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.

As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.

I honestly can not agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back