Votes: 15 23.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 11.1%

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
a7xAda said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.
Blah, blah, poop, blah.
Yes some of is immaturity in getting knickers in a wad over a popularity contest. Some of it is just folks pickin at each other in fun.
If you feel you have nothing to learn the web is full of forums. If you are an experienced fishkeeper stick around and share your knowledge with others.
But to say that the forum is unimpresive is just more poop in the storm, and doesn't do much for intellectual debate.

Just for fun, your post count is more than two.

Poop is for toilets, not forums. I am just going to say that I think the person who said the tanks didn't work for him/ her ( cant remember names ) knew that it was going to make a fuss yet posted it anyway... Why?

frapadoodle said:
Just for fun, your post count is more than two.
You're asking for it there! lol :)

I really don't think anybody is annoyed that their tank is being scrutinised. I know I'm not, my tank doesn't even look like the pic I posted any more. My point always was 'If you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, then don't say anything'

Where is the immaturity or offence in that? 
confused.gif

If people said nothing but nice things on the forum, nobody would learn anything. This is a place for folks to express their opinions and pass along helpful bits of information. The lengths people have gone to try and make my initial comments into something vicious are ludicrous. That's immature and offensive at its basic level. Just in this thread I've seen people's comments (not just mine) turned completely around into something it was never intended to be. 

Now let's all grow up and get back on topic, which is the contest. Lay the battle to rest and move on.

This Old Spouse said:
If people said nothing but nice things on the forum, nobody would learn anything. This is a place for folks to express their opinions and pass along helpful bits of information. The lengths people have gone to try and make my initial comments into something vicious are ludicrous. That's immature and offensive at its basic level. Just in this thread I've seen people's comments (not just mine) turned completely around into something it was never intended to be. 

Now let's all grow up and get back on topic, which is the contest. Lay the battle to rest and move on.

I agree entirely with this.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was because I am a beginner and want to expand my knowledge by being able to chat with more experienced fishkeepers.

As I've said before on this thread, not everyone is going to agree with any one opinion. We humans are too complex. It just can't happen. The group will always split into two, people who agree and people who disagree.

To me, the only solution is to give constructive feedback on the tanks instead if just saying you aren't keen on them? Why don't you like it? What do you think could be better?

What would you rather hear?

'I don't like your tank!'.

Or,

'I feel your tank would benefit from some more plants, particularly in the background and I also think you could add some more colourful fish as the ones you have just now seem to disappear in the tank'.

I for one would rather constructive criticism of my tank. That way I might learn something. It may be that i disagree with the criticism but that is because we all have different tastes. One person loves heavily planted and natural looking tanks and the next will like a more minimalist look. There is no right or wrong. If I disagree with the criticism it might be just because I have another vision for my tank than the person offering their advice. If I don't agree all I need to say is 'thanks for your comments but I much prefer less plants and personally I'm not really fussed about the colour of my fish because I'm much more into the behaviour of the fish'.

Again, the whole point of me joining was to learn about all aspects of fish keeping. Most people will happily take constrictive criticism but few are happy with closed negative comments.

Did I ever say, "I don't like your tank!" No. Once again this has been taken out of proportion. Since you're a newbie, perhaps you haven't seen the tanks that have been in past competitions. Take a look.

And if I would have individually critiqued the tanks, 1) it would have been even more inappropriate and 2) it's not the purpose of this thread and 3) if you think this thread is a poop storm, well, that would've been a whole lot worse.

Why can't we move on?

This Old Spouse said:
Did I ever say, "I don't like your tank!" No. Once again this has been taken out of proportion. Since you're a newbie, perhaps you haven't seen the tanks that have been in past competitions. Take a look.

And if I would have individually critiqued the tanks, 1) it would have been even more inappropriate and 2) it's not the purpose of this thread and 3) if you think this thread is a poop storm, well, that would've been a whole lot worse.

Why can't we move on?
it was a bit harsh but I ger what u are both saying

Thedoctor said:
I really don't think anybody is annoyed that their tank is being scrutinised. I know I'm not, my tank doesn't even look like the pic I posted any more. My point always was 'If you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, then don't say anything'

Where is the immaturity or offence in that? 
confused.gif

This Old Spouse said:

Go figure...

Let sleeping dogs lie people!! Wow... Things are getting completely blown out of proportion so I say just let sleeping dogs lie. Simple as.

Move along folks, nothing to see here............

...........although it may have the most comments for a Tank of the Month thread that I've ever seen on this forum.  It got people talking LOL

I'm already following that thread myself.  :)

Perhaps from this thread and that stellar opening entry, nobody else will enter march.
whistling.gif

DreamertK said:
Perhaps from this thread and that stellar opening entry, nobody else will enter march. :whistle:
Lol, that's true. Hopefully it hasn't put folks off. If nobody enters, everyone that got involved in this thread should enter their tank. That would an interesting grudge match of sorts.

Maybe best not lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back