The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
What's is everybody's favorite tank sizes? 5 gal? 20? 50? Others?

I personally like the 10g just because they are easy to move and you can have many different species in them. I also think the 40g is pretty universal

I have been active in this hobby for 30 years now, and in that time have had many tanks of differing sizes depending upon the space I had available. The largest was my 5-foot 115g Amazon riverscape, the smallest a 10g (now being used as a QT for new fish acquisitions). With tanks of 90g, 70g, 55g, 40g, 33g, 29g, and 20g. When I moved from my house this past May into a Townhouse I downsized the tanks due to a much smaller fish room now from what I had at the house with all those tanks. Not everyone has a dedicated room, nor in fact space for larger tanks. So to answer your question, I have found my 40g and 29g to be very versatile tanks and these are my favourites. You can create a lovely aquascape in either of these. The 29g I like because it has the length of a 20g long but with the added height which does make it much more workable. And the 40g has the additional width front to back (18 inches compared to 12 inches for most smaller tanks) which makes a huge difference in a 3-foot length tank. My 33g is 3 feeet but only 12 inches wide and is considerably less workable.

I love my 55g too

I have four tanks...5 gallon for 1 Beta, 10 gallon for harlequin rasboras, 35 gallon tall hex for black skirt tetras, and 29 gallon for mainly tiger barbs, dwarf cories and 1 bolivian ram. The 29 gallon is my favorite as it allows for lots of plants , lots of tiger barbs, and has a nice footprint and appearance.

Even though I don't have one anymore, a 4ft 75 is a great tank. Similar to a 55, but the extra width really creates a lot of room over the 55.

Favorite size though has to be a 6ft 125.

I've been in the hobby for 50+ years although life took me away a for a bit a time or two, but I obviously came back. I currently have a 60g, 37g, 29g, 10g, 5g, 110g stock tank, and a 50-75g turtle pond (5' kiddie pool). I added a canister filter to the 110g a couple of months ago and recently added a 40g sump/refugium. Most of the tanks are utilitarian colony breeding or grow out tanks. I guess if I was to play favorites, it would be the 60g display tank. It's in the living room, fully planted (low tech), with a collection of community fish. I like it okay, but visitors seem very impressed. But many have never had an aquarium. let alone a planted tank. Others may have dabbled, but never invested the time to learn and develop a stable system. Not unlike some other aspects of life, a lack of knowledge and understanding often leads to neglect and failure. To have good tanks and great fish, you need a touch of the passion. If you're reading this, you probably have it.

I like my 55G the best. Update: Changed my mind. I think I like my 29G the best. It looks like a portrait when you look at it. Perfect dimensions.

Last edited:
I like 5g, 10g, and 29 gallon tanks. I love 29g tanks because you can do so much with it. I would love to get a 40g though...:angel:

My favourite is my current 180 litre tank - that's 48 gallons. The best part about it is that's it is custom built so I got to choose the dimensions rather than settling for the shape the tank manufacturers choose to make. It's 42 x 18 x 18 inches (the maker worked in imperial, it converts to 107 x 45 x 45 cm which sounds like an strange length)

I have been active in this hobby for 30 years now, and in that time have had many tanks of differing sizes depending upon the space I had available. The largest was my 5-foot 115g Amazon riverscape, the smallest a 10g (now being used as a QT for new fish acquisitions). With tanks of 90g, 70g, 55g, 40g, 33g, 29g, and 20g. When I moved from my house this past May into a Townhouse I downsized the tanks due to a much smaller fish room now from what I had at the house with all those tanks. Not everyone has a dedicated room, nor in fact space for larger tanks. So to answer your question, I have found my 40g and 29g to be very versatile tanks and these are my favourites. You can create a lovely aquascape in either of these. The 29g I like because it has the length of a 20g long but with the added height which does make it much more workable. And the 40g has the additional width front to back (18 inches compared to 12 inches for most smaller tanks) which makes a huge difference in a 3-foot length tank. My 33g is 3 feeet but only 12 inches wide and is considerably less workable.

I have to hear about this 115g Amazon tank. Sounds amazing.

I have to hear about this 115g Amazon tank. Sounds amazing.

I acquired this tank in 1996, and when it got to be 20 years old in 2016 I decided to get rid of it because I was frankly worried about leaks with a 20-year old tank on a concrete floor but one without any drain; I lay awake nights imagining the centre brace giving way and a major flood! I have photos of some of the displays I had in this tank durng the last decade when I had a camera, though not a very good one.

Attachments

• 115g Nov 10-10.JPG
    115g Nov 10-10.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 115g Sep 8-09 Lg.JPG
    115g Sep 8-09 Lg.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 115g Oct 17-13.JPG
    115g Oct 17-13.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 115g May 27-14.JPG
    115g May 27-14.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 48
I acquired this tank in 1996, and when it got to be 20 years old in 2016 I decided to get rid of it because I was frankly worried about leaks with a 20-year old tank on a concrete floor but one without any drain; I lay awake nights imagining the centre brace giving way and a major flood! I have photos of some of the displays I had in this tank durng the last decade when I had a camera, though not a very good one.

That's gorgeous. A tetra/hatchet/pencilfish community?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back