The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Your guppy seems normal to me, although overfed. Just feed less.
It isn't protein, it's all food.

I always gave my guppies one feeding per day, with an occasional second feeding and day of fasting every week. If you're on twice a day every day, with quality prepared foods, they'll gain weight.

Your guppy seems normal to me, although overfed. Just feed less.
It isn't protein, it's all food.

I always gave my guppies one feeding per day, with an occasional second feeding and day of fasting every week. If you're on twice a day every day, with quality prepared foods, they'll gain weight.
Thank you, but only one fish is like this. I only feed them once a day. He hasn't lost any weight overnight.
Should I only feed the tank bloodworms instead of the flakes and pellets? They much prefer the bloodworms.

First off, the one fish is okay. It could be body type. I have seen obese guppies and that isn't one, luckily for him. A lot of aquarists kill with kindness.

His bulk is in an area of the body that some fancy breeders seem to make large, as muscle there supports the oversized tails they aim for.

Keep a normal high fibre with some plant material going in. Bloodworms, which are actually midge larvae, are nutritious, but in an all male tank you aren't prepping them for egg production or breeding, so it's more an occasional treat.

I've now put him in a breeder net thing and given him some peas. He's already taken a few bites of the peas and I've fed the others normally. He hasn't lost any weight so I think he probably has constipation.
I feed my eel everyday, he still seems hungry on some days so I feed him a little more. Is this too much? He comes up to anyone as soon as they go near the tank.
They don’t really know when they’re full. Like I said their stomach is only the size of their eyes, so they don’t need nearly as much as you think. Keep in mind they’ll also scavenge around and nip at plants and algae occasionally. I only feed my guppies every 2 days and they are perfectly fine.

They don’t really know when they’re full. Like I said their stomach is only the size of their eyes, so they don’t need nearly as much as you think. Keep in mind they’ll also scavenge around and nip at plants and algae occasionally. I only feed my guppies every 2 days and they are perfectly fine.
So should I only feed them bloodworms everyday instead of the pellets and flakes?

First off, the one fish is okay. It could be body type. I have seen obese guppies and that isn't one, luckily for him. A lot of aquarists kill with kindness.

His bulk is in an area of the body that some fancy breeders seem to make large, as muscle there supports the oversized tails they aim for.

Keep a normal high fibre with some plant material going in. Bloodworms, which are actually midge larvae, are nutritious, but in an all male tank you aren't prepping them for egg production or breeding, so it's more an occasional treat.
It was sudden though, he doesn't usually look like this. I bought him from a pet shop that definitely doesn't care about how they look.
Are you sure he isn't fat? I just took these now.

Attachments

• 20230205_131549.jpg
    20230205_131549.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230205_131544.jpg
    20230205_131544.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230205_131553.jpg
    20230205_131553.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So should I only feed them bloodworms everyday instead of the pellets and flakes?
I’d keep the variety, one day do bloodworms, another day do pellets etc. We don’t eat the same foods all our life, so they shouldn’t either for optimum health.

I’d keep the variety, one day do bloodworms, another day do pellets etc. We don’t eat the same foods all our life, so they shouldn’t either for optimum health.
I would, but the eel only eats bloodworms. He needs to have them everyday otherwise hes really grumpy...

To me, he doesn't look bloated at all. It's a bit overfed. He looks normal to me. Overhere I also have guppy males that look like this but are just a bit overfed. Even if yours doesn't seem to eat most of what you're giving, it could be that he's eating food that are on the bottom of the tank that most fish have missed. I wouldn't be worried about him.

To me, he doesn't look bloated at all. It's a bit overfed. He looks normal to me. Overhere I also have guppy males that look like this but are just a bit overfed. Even if yours doesn't seem to eat most of what you're giving, it could be that he's eating food that are on the bottom of the tank that most fish have missed. I wouldn't be worried about him.
Really? I think he looks very fat compared to the others.
He's usually a lot thinner.
Should I continue feeding them the same diet?
This is him compared to a normally sized one.

Attachments

• 20230205_153031.jpg
    20230205_153031.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 12
Overhere males with a wellshaped chest:
IMG_8041.JPGIMG_7543.JPGIMG_7469.JPGIMG_7423.JPG
They're all healthy.

He doesn't usually look like this though. He also looks fatter than the ones you showed.
He also hasnt done a poo for at least a day.

Like I said their stomach is only the size of their eyes
That is a well-disproven fallacy ;)

If you've ever filleted game fish, you'd see for yourself...

For the OP, @emeraldking is our resident live-bearer expert...if he says the fish looks fine, I wouldn't fret over it anymore

I had a couple of guppies like that. They came that way from the LFS. I promised myself that I would never get more like that. They were healthy enough but they were like those big fancy goldfish that have trouble swimming.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back