Fast flow/waves but hard water stock ideas 127L/34G

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Never sure which forum section to post in but this is a learning post.

I'm setting up my 127L/34G tank. It's 36"/90cm in length, 12"/30cm width & 18"/45.7cm.

Starting cycling so this isn't a rushed question but I really like the spray nozzle on Eheim Aquaball that creates small waves & the Spray bar down the other end creating a little fall of water. The sound is lovely.

Would there be small hard water fish that like a nice flow?

My GH is 307ppm & PH 8.

I was looking at:

All male Endlers (10)
Forktail blue-eyed Rainbowfish x 10 (but that could go in species only 58L/16G tank)
L144/144a Lemon Bristlenose or longfin
L129 Columbian Zebra Pleco

I'm just not sure though about my stock. I like the idea of different small peaceful fish. It will be well planted with hiding spaces & broken lines of sight. There's enough height to also allow a clear swimming stretch if needed.

Neon blue eye, blood fin tetra & most Rainbowfish ate suited to hard water.
MVIMG_20200915_213529.jpg

If you feel the flow is too strong, you can turn it down with these filters. On the one with the spray bar I can see that it is set to maximum flow.

tank.jpg

With both on max you'll have a turnover of 1100 litres per hour which is a bit too much. Both on minimum would give you 360 litres per hour. I would set them both about half way and see what that's like. You have time during cycling to play with them.

If you feel the flow is too strong, you can turn it down with these filters. On the one with the spray bar I can see that it is set to maximum flow.

View attachment 116513

With both on max you'll have a turnover of 1100 litres per hour which is a bit too much. Both on minimum would give you 360 litres per hour. I would set them both about half way and see what that's like. You have time during cycling to play with them.
Oh yeah I was just enjoying them in max making waves :) I'll play around with them a bit. Was gonna try have one aimed lower than the other and get good flow throughout.

During cycling, you can alter them every day to see which you prefer :)

Any fish recommendations? I just keep going around in circles. But I think a group of Forktails would be lovely against all the black in the tank

You are in a similar situation to me . The fork tail rainbows are really nice have a look for some of the rarer species I saw some red blue eyed rainbows the other day that were stunning and would work there are a few rasboras that would work - galaxy and their stripey relative and rummy nose rasboras would work. Dwarf neon rainbows could be a good option if you want a bit larger there are dwarf sunsets as well which would look nice as a contrast. Synodontis catfish would work well too petricola are nice and small too.

Wills

Brilliant thank you. I looked at so many I can't remember what behaviour, tank size, GH, etc. I started a list but gave up :rofl:

It's a nice shape tank and I think getting a mix of top, middle, bottom small sized fish would be lovely. I then have the 58L/16G tank to play with. Maybe as a species only set up :)

I've adjusted the spray nozzle to just over half (any lower makes an annoying noise) and the spray bar right down to 1/4. It's raised so creates a small water fall so I gave both pumps lower speed but still get the nice water running noise.

I would suggest Zebra Plecos, but they are like 100 bucks, and I don't know the water parameters. I do know the like flow, though.

I would suggest Zebra Plecos, but they are like 100 bucks, and I don't know the water parameters. I do know the like flow, though.
I'm gonna get a Fake/Columbian Zebra Pleco L129. As it's €30 instead of €200 for Zebra Pleco.
Under 3" Max and very cute (internet pic). I'll probably get an L144 lemon Bristlenose too. They can have zones at each tank end & should be ok with the 36" x 12" floor space. I know they poop lots but they're fun :) the long fin looks fancy! Or an Albino Bristlenose. They like algae but the fake zebra isn't interested. But also I love them

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 115912-b83947f32395792d33b42034260ab3f6.jpg
    115912-b83947f32395792d33b42034260ab3f6.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 181
I don't know much about endlers but they are good looking fish and I imagine would look striking in a large group. I think they are live bearers if that makes a difference to you

I dont think CPDs like that kind of flow, or the Emerald Dwarf danio.

I forget the size of the tank but the blue striped long finned danio are gorgeous and really school together. Seems like they are strong and would like the flow

I dont think CPDs like that kind of flow, or the Emerald Dwarf danio.
CPDs don't. If by emerald dwarf danio you mean microdevario kubotai they love it - the more the better. Mine will even have arguments if one encroaches on another's flow ;)

Probably not the blue longfin danio (I looked at tank size and I think a larger group is called for and look better)

What else are you planning for the tank?

Dwarf rainbow - may be too big if you want a larger group of 10+
Peacock Gudgeons may be too big if you want a large group of 10+
Threadfin. - gorgeous tails
Celebes rainbows
I love the endlers every time I see them♡

Last edited:
CPDs don't. If by emerald dwarf danio you mean microdevario kubotai they love it - the more the better. Mine will even have arguments if one encroaches on another's flow ;)
No these:
erythromicron danio

I forget, are the kubotai tetras or danios?
I love those and know you have several.

Last edited:
The common name for Microdevario kubotai is neon green rasbora though some shops do call them green tetras even though they are not tetras.
Erythromicron danios are now Celestichthys erythromicron and can interbreed with cpds, Celestichthys margaritatus.
Danio choprae , glowlight danios, are now also Celestichthys choprae.

Most reactions

Back