Family bibles and fish books

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My mum and dad were raised Catholic but they don't practice Catholic traditions. I don't know if they had a family bible or not. If anyone knows what a family bible is, a family bible is a bible with a family tree on some pages. Had anyone had family bibles back then? Old fish books are very rare in here, you may inherit them from a friend or family member. I never kept fish books before, as most of the hardback books died down due to the internet. What is the rarest fish book you have kept, in detail? My LFS does sell a few fish books, but not many of them. Books are enjoyable but my generation doesn't read them anymore due to technology.

None of my family are religious so no bibles but we have loads of books in the house which in reality are never going to be read again and just take up space

To me, your questions seem half off topic, and half repeating a lot of threads we've had recently. We've had a lot of talk about fishbooks, and by forum rules, we are asked to avoid discussion of religions and religious books as some members are quite passionate about them.

Rare is hard to define, as this is an international forum and things common in one place can't be found in another, and vice versa.

I've got a number of aquarium books overhere. And most of them are old books which I prefer over the present commercial books. A lot of older books contain better info than nowadays books.

I set up my first tank at the end of Jan. 2001. I had gone onto the internet for the first time at the end of 1998. It was a completely different place then. So, I got the Baensch Aquarium Atlas, a 2 inch thick had cover book with color illustrations. Most of the fish I acquired during the first few years of having tanks were because of that book.

I also gave a copy of Ingo Seidel's Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfishes, an excellent book re plecos and also hard cover.. I also have the copy of a small soft-cover The 101 Best Feshwater Nano Species. I got that because I know both of the authors and one is a friend. I also have the hardcover Community Fishes by Dick Mills and the soft cover Catfishes by Lee Finley.

None of the above are rare and you can still likely buy them. However, I have one book that I think is out of print or at least difficult to find. It was a gift from the owner of PlanetCatfish. It is Loricariids of the Middle Rio Xingu aka Loricariiden des mittleren Rio Xingu. The titles in English and German are due the unique format of the book. It is written in Both English and German. The pages have English on their right half and the German version is on the right half. The illustrations can appear on either pages but the language is always left and right.

What helps make the first edition of this book special is the the list of authors: Mauricio Camargo, Heriberto Gimênes Junior, Leandro Melo de Sousa & Lucia Rapp Py-Daniel. The list of others connected with the book encompass a lot of internationally know experts and scientists. I have the 2nd edition which credits the following authors as well: Christian Andreas Cramer, Daniel Konn-Vetterlein and Andreas Tanke.

The book is also extremely well illustrated. It include photos and drawings for each species, and it includes a map of where they are found. Finally, it has a picture which shows how their habitat looks.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/loricariids-of-the-middle-xingu-river-2nd-edition/

I have tried to find this book listed for sale on a the net- I cannot find it.

I prefer the NIV Bible. Also, next best is NLT and Good News Bible. It is very easy to sin as fishkeepers. Jesus tells us that we need to become like little children to get into the Kingdom of Heaven ,and he didn't mean become like little children in the fish store and purchase inappropriate fish that don't match the set up or water parameters. Many of fishkeepers make mistakes in the hobby, and, in a way, we need to be born again into the hobby.

If you want old aquarium and tropical fish books they aren’t hard to find . Try ABE Books or start haunting used bookstores in your town . You’ll be surprised how inexpensive they are . I paid less than $10 bucks for my two editions of “Exotic Aquarium Fishes” by Dr. William T. Innes. As for family bibles you either have one or you don’t . That’s a thing that’s passed down from generation to generation but something you might think about doing is compiling one yourself . Talk to your folks and other relatives while you still have them and fill in the blanks .

As someone with family history as another hobby, I agree with Back in the fold - talk to as many relatives as you can, especially the older generation. When they pass on, everything they know will pass on with them unless someone has made note of it. I wish I'd talked to my grandmother about her parents as there is a bit of a mystery there which I can never hope to solve.

As someone with family history as another hobby, I agree with Back in the fold - talk to as many relatives as you can, especially the older generation. When they pass on, everything they know will pass on with them unless someone has made note of it. I wish I'd talked to my grandmother about her parents as there is a bit of a mystery there which I can never hope to solve.
Yes, I will talk to the grandparents about it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back