Falx baby!

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
Whelp, after waiting for the excruiating MORE than two weeks - my falx male FINALLY spit!! :D It's about darned time, I'll say. So that's the good news. Bad news? ONLY ONE DARNED FRY!!! :grr: I can't believe after all this waiting and excitement, I only get one. :sly:

Wuv can you believe this? I told you I would end up with two, just like your spawn with the orangies! I'll bet you I find another one in there tomorrow... :p

Anyways, I didn't look in the tank from this afternoon until midnight or so... so I'm thinking daddy might have been realllllly hungry and ate some babies. :X I mean for goodness sakes, he didn't eat for over two weeks.. almost three! :crazy: I wouldn't blame him if he had a snack. I'm gonna give him some nice bloodworms tomorrow! :thumbs: The spawn was probably small anyway since they did it only a few days after they got here, and it was their first. :dunno: I saw a few unfertile eggs in the tank too.

I moved the baby into a breeding trap, just in case dad really is munching on them. That didn't go so well though.. I had to use the baster since he was SUPER fast, and I dunno if I hurt him. :sad: He's not moving around too much, but hopefully will be better in the morning.

Some other good news - my second falx male is holding! Yey!! :D His jaw looks fuller, and he's being a good tumbling pappa, so perhaps I'll get more from him in a week or so. :kana:

Edit: For those of you that are interested in the mouthbrooding bettas - The fry is about the size of a newborn livebearer like a platy.. only longer bodied. I can see his little eyes and fins... very cute. :D

Congratulations Julie, thats great News.

Guess what guys?! :hyper: I've now got nine fry!!! :D Dad still has some in his mouth too... he was acting really strange this morning, so as I started to observe him really closely, I noticed he was still tumbling. It's so interesting - he lets them out one at a time, and always in a different place. :nod:

Babies are starting to pick at microworms. YEY. :thumbs:

Edit: Forgot to say, I tried to take a pic of them, but it's hard cuz they are so small. I got one that turned out though - I'll post it.

:hyper: There are now 11 fry!! Weeeee. They kept disappearing after I put them in the trap shown in the pic I posted (plastic)... and I figured they must have been falling through the holes, as they are very thin. Anyways, moved the three that were left in there to my mesh net, and then added two more that I caught. So there are five bambinos in the net. :thumbs:

Theeeeennnn.... I counted babies that I saw swimming about in the tank - and there were 6. :D Yay! I think I am going to leave them in the main tank too, just to see what happens. This is the first time for me, and I'd like to see which method works better. All seem to be eating, as they had fat white bellies from their microworms. :p

Also - I got to see dad spit out two of the fry. It was way awesome and I adore him for letting me watch such a special moment. :wub:

juliethegr8t said:
Also - I got to see dad spit out two of the fry. It was way awesome and I adore him for letting me watch such a special moment. :wub:
:wub: :wub: :wub:

How freakin' cool! I had the chance to buy some falx today, but I'd rather have yours :hey:

Haha... suuuuuuure wuv. I know you just were already spending too much on the pretty colorful splendens. ;) :lol:

However... I am glad you're waiting for mine. I'm gonna be overrun. :hyper: Plus, I want you to have a pair or trio... tradesies!! :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back