Fairly 'experienced' With Killies, Looking For A Solid Game Pl

kenshi64

Reaction score
Hello avid aquarists! 

This is my first post here so hi and nice meeting you!

Okay so my background in killifish raising is rather weird, I've ordered from:

1. Thailand- Great eggs but needed to be force hatched, I was new at the point and just gave up.

2. Got some beira 98 and korthause eggs from Carmel Zammit, the beira were all absconding (assuming roe melt) except for 2 eggs. The korthause did grow but not as fast as I want them to. It took weeks to get them to 3 cms and then the one survivor of the BBA attack on my tank is a pygmy...

SO that's my introduction. Now you smart folk can make out that I'm frustrated with these failed attempts and looking to get the right method. This time I'm planning on going for the beautiful Australe and doing it right. In fact it really upset me to read on some forum that a guy raised his killies and had breeding pairs in 3 weeks or so and there I was with a spoonful of microworms :(

Here's my plan, please advise experience people and newbies alike! :)

1. Get eggs probably from Darren Said in the UK on eBay. But the pound is hefty so I'm open to any other people you might know :) (Also I find it fishy that he's not listed on aquabid atm but is on ebay.) :S
  2. Hatch Brine shrimp eggs 1 day prior to estimated day of arrival.
  3. Receive eggs, put them in diluted aged water. (Tank Size- I have a 5g, can manage boxes and trays) with an apple snail to consume uneaten stuff.
  4. Add moss to that tank, I already have lots ready, roughly two golf ball sizes.
  5. Drop in BBS for the young ones to eat, 10% water change siphoning out uneaten stuff and poop.
  6. I'm in India and the summer is underway, do the fry need 26Deg C as well? In this case I'll add a fan above the 5 g for cooling.
Is this fool proof yet peeps?? :) I really really want to keep killies :) Anyone here have cauveti kindia btw? I might order 2 killies :D

My only advice is to do smaller water changes. Killifish fry are very delicate and won't like that large of a water change. Also killifish fry are very small and may not be able to eat bbs at first. You may want to feed infusoria for the first couple days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back