Extreme Cory fin damage.

Fishboy_Max

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I recently came back from a 3day trip to a smaller/younger Cory with some serious fin damage, and looks slightly bloated.
here is a video:
The tank is a 30 gallon 50×55×60cm.
It lives in a school of 6 and it is the smallest
Other fish are: a female juvenile peral gourami.
A shool of 9 ember tetras. An apple snail, still quite young. And a male bn pleco.
My water condition is
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5
Nitrite 0
PH 7
GH 28ppm
Temp 26°C.
I have not witnessed any aggressive behaviour between the fishes.
None of the other fishes have damage.
Only liquids I add to the tank is aqua plus water conditioner (for water changes), easy life profito (plant fert) and easy life easy carbo.
Water changes are every 2 weeks 25%.
Tanks been running for 2½ months with fishes being added 3 weeks ago.
I have a hospital tank btw if necessary.
Sand substrate.
Tell me if you guys need any more info!!

Hi,
Are there any decorations or equipment that could have damaged the fin?

If kept in very clean water the fin should repair itself. I recommend 50% weekly water changes as routine, maybe more frequently for a couple of weeks to make sure the wound stays clean. I can't say it is definitely bloated, it may just be a female which are rounder.

As an aside, unless you are seeing big benefits I wouldn't bother with the easy carbo, the less additives the better and this one is strong stuff, overdosing can be toxic.

Hi,
Are there any decorations or equipment that could have damaged the fin?

If kept in very clean water the fin should repair itself. I recommend 50% weekly water changes as routine, maybe more frequently for a couple of weeks to make sure the wound stays clean. I can't say it is definitely bloated, it may just be a female which are rounder.

As an aside, unless you are seeing big benefits I wouldn't bother with the easy carbo, the less additives the better and this one is strong stuff, overdosing can be toxic.
The filter intake is covered in a soft sponge and all decorations were checked for ruff edges and I don't think that this is the case, I'll start with weekly water changes then (there goes 50l).
It doesn't seem infected I'd say and there is no irritation besides the damage itself.
I add the CO2 because some of my leaves went transparent for a while, and now that I have added CO2 my plants are looking healthier.
I'll keep updating as I go along .
Thx for the help!!

Could be carrying eggs and being chased by the males.try a water change a couple of hours before dark and refill with water a few degrees cooler than what it usually sits at.
Cory's spawn in the wild when the cooler rains arrive.
In the morning Check for eggs near the water line at the top of the tank.

Could be carrying eggs and being chased by the males.try a water change a couple of hours before dark and refill with water a few degrees cooler than what it usually sits at.
Cory's spawn in the wild when the cooler rains arrive.
In the morning Check for eggs near the water line at the top of the tank.
Will do.
Now that I think about it it could be fun raising some fry (since it's summer and have time).
I'll watch some videos on the matter.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I know its quite a while later but the cory passed away this morning, I've been monitoring it closely for the past few weeks and it seemed fine the day before but as I said before, sadly it passed away.
None of the other fish are damaged in any way and the tank ammonia levels have not gone up.

Most reactions

Back