External Canister Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@ Colleen: I can't afford much either, and I looked for the Odyssea cfs4 filter on ebay but they don't currently have any. The only Odyssea filters I could find were a C500 on Aquatraders.com for $58.90 and free shipping.

I think I'll try it ... was it difficult to set up for the first time? I have never used a canister filter so I'm a complete noob when it comes to setting it up. I'm hoping the instructions are complete. I just did some research and people seem fairly satisfied with them.
laugh.gif

I just ordered another odessa. Cf3 I think. As far as it being easy to set up, it was just as easy as a HOB. Just rinse the media, if it comes with any, put the trays back in. Prime it and plug it in. I think the c500 is the one that uses sponges. I wanted trays for the media so I could customize it to my liking. I almost bought the one you are looking at. Maybe next time.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EXTERNAL-5-STAGE-FISH-CANISTER-FILTER-PUMP-AQUARIUM-/160641828756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2566ffc794. This is the other filter I bought on ebay. It seems to work alright, but not as good as the odessa.

I couldn't find the Cf3 anywhere, which is why I ordered the C500. I guess if I hate it I can send it back, right? Hopefully I won't screw myself up trying to install it.

I'm sceered.
unsure.gif

Don't be scared. It's gonna work out great! I was so paranoid when I ordered mine. It sat in the box for a month before I set it up. It's easy and the canisters really do work better. Another plus... they are silent. If you can't figure out how to set it up, I will help as much as I can. Next week is time for me to start homeschooling my 15 year old neice again so I won't be around quite so much, but I will pop in every day during lunch.

By the way, I noticed it was your birthday yesterday. :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :wizard: :wizard: :drink: :- :- :drinks: :yahoo:

Why would you clean with tap water when you know it can potentially kill bacteria, its just as easy to clean in tank water and not mess up the filters capability.....how very odd.

Not odd at all there are many people who do this. Cleaning with tap water is much easier , its allows me to take filter outside and give everything a good clean rather than bringing buckets of water downstairs. Yes this is harmful to bacteria but only to a small extent as I do not wash bio media with tap water. Further to this the other external is full of bacteria which is why I alternate and never clean both at the same time. Have kept fish for years and no problems what so ever.

Why would you clean with tap water when you know it can potentially kill bacteria, its just as easy to clean in tank water and not mess up the filters capability.....how very odd.

I do not wash bio media with tap water.

You should really make this clear in your post because you didnt say that origionally. If you wash eveything else in tap water, then thats fine, but the bio media should not be washed in tap water. Maybe you are nto as mental as you made yourself out to be but its a little hard to spot if you are not clear with your instructions. :unsure:

I have an Eheim classic 2213 and a professional II 2224; I also have a Fluval 305.

The classic is a real pain to maintain because it has the inlet at the bottom of the canister. Life get's eaiser if you add a set of double taps to it. - very low flow rate and flow rate drops quickly over time. (no idea how much it was, from the 80s and still running well)

The Pro 2224 is quiet and very easy to maintain. Comes with taps built in and just feels like a nice bit of kit. (I paid £40 for it on ebay) - Nice flow rate, doesn't add too much current and flow rate doesn't drop very quickly at all.

The 305 is much bigger than it looks in pictures. Feels a little cheaper in construction than the Eheims but is doing well and the media layout, baskets etc. is very well thought out. Again comes with taps built in. - Really nice high flow rate. I bought it to turn over my planted tank and it adds a nice current to the tank. (£30 from ebay)

I'd recommend an Eheim Pro.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back