External Canister Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finally convinced I should switch to a canister filter for my 55g, and Eheim was recommended over Fluval. Now what do I look for? I tend to like to over-filter my tanks, if that helps.

Looking forward to your recommendations!
biggrin.gif

I'm a tetratec fan myself,3 of them and can't find fault :good:

The ex1200 would be good on your 55 gals :)

Hmm I don't know much about Fluvals but personally I use an Eheim 2217 on a 75g and I have been impressed with the filtration.

Just from a quick comparison, a fluval 305 has 260GPH and an eheim 2215 has 164. Quite a difference! The eheim is rated for a higher gal (92) but personally I like a higher GPH. You'll probably want a bigger model though if over filtration is your thing. :fun:

Just from what I've read on my own personal filter quest... eheim is no1 just because it's a "classic". It can be a little bit more of a pain to maintain/deal with but in the end, worth it.

Good luck!

iirc Eheim give you the flow rate AFTER the media is in it where as most give you the rating BEFORE so it's not really an accurate reading. I've heard loads of horror stories on external fluvals leaking and their internal filters are rubbish!

I've got 2x Aqua One CF1000 on my 380L and i can't fault them tbh although it's the only external i've ever had so got nothing to compare it too.

EDIT

Also i was reading a thread on here where people are giving the flow rates on their filters with media in, i think its either in hardware/diy or planted section

If you have the money, the Pro 3e series is great, otherwise the next Classic up from what is rated for your tank.

Fluval make pretty poor externals, bar the FX5, I'd recommend a Tetratec or a Hydor, on a tank this size personally I'd be looking at 2* Tetratec ex 1200's, 10x turn over is what I aim for, and would recommend that to all too, if you position the spray bars well you shouldn't get any detritus and it is future proof too should you choose to get serious about plants.

This is great food for thought. I am trying to get serious about some nice plants, but mainly just want to get the best bang for my buck, and keep my water pristine between water changes. I need all this ammo to start shopping!

Are canisters any harder to clean than HOBs?

Not really, if you don't use floss you only need to clean them out every 3 or so months, or when the flow significantly drops, which ever happens first.

Not really, if you don't use floss you only need to clean them out every 3 or so months, or when the flow significantly drops, which ever happens first.
+1, the floss might need replacing more often, but don't expect to need to clean them that often. For example, one of mine has currently been running for 3.5 months without cleaning and the flow is only just starting to deteriorate (the fancier ones usually tell you how the flow rate is doing compared to when it is clean).

Personally i have 2 fluval 405's running. This means you can clean filter with tap water as the other one is always fully established with bacteria.
I have had 3 tetratec ex1200 in the past. Great filtration power but one sprang a leak after one year. Fluvals are a safer bet IMO as they have been around longer. They also have a removable rubber seal which can be easily greased or replaced which avoids leaks.

Why would you clean with tap water when you know it can potentially kill bacteria, its just as easy to clean in tank water and not mess up the filters capability.....how very odd.

I've only had Eheims so I can't compare them to another brand. I agree with you that more is better so I have two 2234s'. I can say they are so quiet I have to touch them or look at the outflow tubes to see if they're running! Nice that they state flow rates with media installed. The build quality and design is top notch. Very easy to disconnect hoses that have shutoff valves and quick fittings. Ceramic impellers. Easy to prime. Media baskets easy to access and well designed. Does a great job of keeping water clear. Flow stays strong for a long time between cleanings. Green tubing even looks nice. No obvious faults.

I have had 1 x Eheim Classic, 3 x TetraTecs, 1 x Crystal Profi (JBL), 4 x Fluvals (2x 305 + 2 x 405),2 x Aqua One CF canisters and 2 x AquaManta (MA's own brand externals).

Of all of them... I dont Rate the Fluvals or the Crystal Profi and i binned the two 405s i got for free with a tank. The CrystalProfi might have been good, I think i had a faulty one, the flow rate as awful and it just barely worked (on the larger Osaka tank)...

Fluvals... i compare them to my Fiesta... lots of them around, loads of second hand ones once people realise they are naff and upgrade, cheap to buy... you end up spending a fortune in spare parts before you give up and get another filter... spare impeller, impeller shaft, well cover, pipe tap leavers, pipes, motor, priming shaft... and so on.... not to mention the media...

The Eheim was an absolute pig to maintain... but with a filter aimed at 600L + on a 250L tank with 4 angel fish in, i only had to maintain it once every 6 months, on any other tank, id have got rid of the filter! The turnover was really quite something though, all it had was 5 thick sponges and a bag of carbon/phosex/bionitratex etc...

The TetraTecs were really good, lasted years and years, I did end up with the leaky one eventually but it happens to all filters eventually and in all fairness, i'd dropped and kicked and knocked that filter about mercilessly for a goooood few years! I had an EX700 on a Roma 125 and an EX700 and an EX1200 on my 340L (though was planning to swap the EX700 to another EX1200) they were both good, very good flow rate and huge media capacity because of the shape and design...

The Aqua Manta is probably my favourite now because it is made/designed by the same people who make the Aqua One filters and the TetraTec filters and then have had all the bad points changed...

Got the same good flowrate and media capacity of the Tetratecs, better canister shape like the Aqua Ones, cheaper than the Fluvals bought new, have 4 corner canister clips instead of ne either side meaning no sealing ring is needed (less spare parts cost!), large priming button instead of stick (less spares cost) and a single lever to disconnect the pipes and shut off water (less likely to break asgood design and less spares cost!) and so on... lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back