Expert Fish Keepers....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I'm by no means an expert, but it has been 3-4 months since any of my fish have gotten sick after they passed the quarantine period. Quarantining helps a lot since in my case 75% of new arrivals have some thing wrong with them. I always treat new arrivals with a 1/2 dose of a anti-parasite med, no matter how healthy they look. I quarantine for about two weeks, depending on the type of fish and which tank it was going into. The last time I didn't quarantine, a little 1" chiclid introduced ich into my planted tank which was full of shrimp and plants, which can't stand most ich meds :X . So all the fish had to be moved to the Q-tank and the tank had to sit fishless for 8 weeks, to let the ich died out naturally. A royal pain that was.

If you quarantine fish for a month and treat them for worms before adding them to the tank you should prevent most diseases from getting in. Fish Tuberculosis (TB) has a longer gestation cycle and can take months or even years before it shows any signs.

New fish are usually stressed and much more susceptible to disease outbreaks. In a couple of weeks they have probably been packed into bags with 100s of others, flown half way around the world. Taken out of a dark esky and put into brightly lit bare tanks with completely different water. Left here for a couple of weeks before being packed into more bags and shipped all over the country. Then put into new tanks with potentially different water, and where the original tank inhabitants might try to kill them. Then a few days later they are caught, put in another bag and shipped to your house where they have to go into different water a third time. They might not have been fed very well during this time and will be suffering from malnutrition. They could have scale or skin damage due to being handled roughly and frequently. Their immune systems are run down and if the tanks they go into aren't perfect, they get sick.

If you are losing fish on a regular basis then something is wrong. It could be a water quality issue or a disease. If there are no visible signs of disease on the outside of the fish then you can assume it is an internal problem. Internal problems are either worms or bacterial/ protozoan infections.
Worms can be treated easily enough but protozoan and bacterial infections are very difficult to treat.
Your best bet would be to take a sick fish to a fish vet and have it autopsied. Then you will know exactly what is killing them. A minor problem can be treated but if it is TB then you will lose everything.
Don't bother adding any new fish to the tank until you solve the problem.

If the largest public aquariums in the world have fish that get ill on occasion that should tell you something. They have resources and a budget available to them that is far beyond your hobby aquarist.

As has been stated, a long quar period is essential. Four weeks minimum for fish from an unknown source, this means any lfs fish. Keep all equipment used for the fish in quar specific to that tank, and that tank only. After four weeks, add about a cup of water from an established tank you are running, and a fish you don't mind sparing. This is one thing breeders use culls for. Wait at least two more weeks, and if the fish in quar, and the added fish are ok it is generally safe to add the fish from quar to your existing stock. Folks or organizations with larger setups will do a dissection & slides on the added fish, as well as one of the fish in quar. This is to assure that nothing sneaks past and infects their setup.

A worming procedure is usually reserved for wild caught fish, more sensitive fish, or fish that come in looking pretty roughed up.

As far as I'm concerned there are no experts in general aquatics, just as there are no experts in general science. Both have too many branches of knowledge to become an expert in all of them in one lifetime.

its the old scenario and the only thing to do is become a jack of all trades and a master of non

If you quarantine fish for a month and treat them for worms before adding them to the tank you should prevent most diseases from getting in. Fish Tuberculosis (TB) has a longer gestation cycle and can take months or even years before it shows any signs.

New fish are usually stressed and much more susceptible to disease outbreaks. In a couple of weeks they have probably been packed into bags with 100s of others, flown half way around the world. Taken out of a dark esky and put into brightly lit bare tanks with completely different water. Left here for a couple of weeks before being packed into more bags and shipped all over the country. Then put into new tanks with potentially different water, and where the original tank inhabitants might try to kill them. Then a few days later they are caught, put in another bag and shipped to your house where they have to go into different water a third time. They might not have been fed very well during this time and will be suffering from malnutrition. They could have scale or skin damage due to being handled roughly and frequently. Their immune systems are run down and if the tanks they go into aren't perfect, they get sick.

If you are losing fish on a regular basis then something is wrong. It could be a water quality issue or a disease. If there are no visible signs of disease on the outside of the fish then you can assume it is an internal problem. Internal problems are either worms or bacterial/ protozoan infections.
Worms can be treated easily enough but protozoan and bacterial infections are very difficult to treat.
Your best bet would be to take a sick fish to a fish vet and have it autopsied. Then you will know exactly what is killing them. A minor problem can be treated but if it is TB then you will lose everything.
Don't bother adding any new fish to the tank until you solve the problem.

thanks colin, another great post

I always treat new arrivals with a 1/2 dose of a anti-parasite med, no matter how healthy they look.
Please don't use 1/2 doses of medicines. :crazy:

Under dosing can cause resistant strains to emerge. In the same way that your doctor tells you to take an entire course of antibiotics you should make sure that you complete a full medication cycle at the full strength. I know there are special cases but generally it's a good rule to stick to. (BTW if you're treating a stocked tank with one sick fish, even if the sick fish dies you should complete the course of medication on the rest of the tank)

:good:

i'll join the 'i'm not an expert but.... club' everyone will hit bad luck from time to time and get an outbreak or a poorly fish so don't be too disheartened if it happens to you.

but sensible care, an established tank and reasonable stocking will generally stop you getting hit too hard too regularly.

just a month or so ago i ended up with a cycling tank and lost one of my oldest fish, it does happen from time to time, we all make mistakes.

Thanks for the great advice all.

I would love to qt my fish for a month but the problem is i only have a 30l tank and most the fish i buy are large cichlids and just couldn't live a month in such a small tank. I wish i had a bigger qt tank but i just don't have the room.

I think i'm just not going to add any fish for a while and then only buy them when i've seen them in my lfs for over 2 weeks and then it's like they've half quarentined them for me.

Thanks again! :good:

yeah i have to say i don't quarantine my fish, know i should be we've nowhere to set up a qt.

i'm just v careful about where i buy my stock from, yes ideally we'd all like to quarantine fish for a month, but it's not practical for everyone and for every fish, i don't think that should necessariyl restrict us from fishkeeping all together, just means you should put other measures in place to help control it. so only buy from reputable people, ensure you thoroughly inspect the fish before purchase, most fish shops will reserve fish for you so if you fall in love with a new arrival you can get them to hold it for another week or so which means you've more chance of spotting any potential problems.

you can also dose the tank when getting any new arrivals, but personally i don't like dosing without a diagnosis as fish can build up resistance.

i'm a firm believer that good water quality and a balanced diet can cure a multitude of sins!

but yes, for you i think leave it a good 2 months before adding fish, then try stocking v slowly and carefully from then onwards, see what difference that makes.

I was just wondering... 1 of my fish I have lost in all this is my angelfish.

I know i def. want another one but if i wait 2 months to let things settle will the angel that i have left allow a new angel in the tank?

the angelfish that is still alive may not accept a new partner now or in six months. Give it a month or two and then try.

The only thing is that the angel left is still only a juvie and i know it will be easier to introduce a new partner while he's still young (and very docile)? You still think wait 2 months?

Thanks for the advice btw!

I like to wait for at least a month after losing a fish. That gives everything a chance to settle back down and I know the fish I have will be healthy. If any diseases occur after I introduce the new fish I know it was the new fish.

If your angel is still young then perhaps add a few more and let them pair themselves off. Just keep an eye on water quality and make sure everyone is healthy before adding the newbies. It's also a good idea to quarantine angels just in case the new ones have the angelfish virus.

Thanks for the advice. I miss my angel :(

I will wait for a death free month then. I just hope i'm not going to lose all my fish to this illness!

Most reactions

Back