Experienced Opinions Please! Acrylic Or Glass?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phaneric

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum Friends!
  I'm looking for some seasoned folks who have experience with both glass and acrylic aquariums to give me some guidance, please and thanks!(;
  Okay, so here's the thing, I'm wanting to set up my first large aquarium. I'm thinking 40gals is my max - plus I'm on a budget! And just as an FYI, I'm not putting any fish in until I've decide which I want after doing my homework on who will get along with who, size requirements and I make sure they require the same temperatures and water quality... so on and so forth! Besides, I'm only looking for the tank right now so I can get it properly cycled for the little guys. I love the lightweight and visual benefits of acrylic, but I prefer the life, and stability of glass - and it's not as easily scratched.
  I'd love to hear your experiences with both glass and acrylic! Thanks in advanced!!
-Phan.

I would go for glass myself, I think it retains the temperature a bit better aside from (while still being scratch able) less likely to scratch.

I've only had very small acrylic tanks (mostly for keeping shrimp), and to be honest, didn't notice much difference between them and my glass tanks of the same size. If cost is a big factor, then go for glass as it tends to be cheaper.

malfunction said:
I've only had very small acrylic tanks (mostly for keeping shrimp), and to be honest, didn't notice much difference between them and my glass tanks of the same size. If cost is a big factor, then go for glass as it tends to be cheaper.
Thanks to both of you! I decided to go with a 29 gal glass aquarium. It seemed to best meet my current needs.
  -Phan.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back