expediting cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jasper

Reaction score
I was at LPS today and the manager of the fish section said that the product "Cycle" by Nutrafin would expedite the cycling process by introducing beneficial bacteria into the tank, in a way similar to that of normal cycling. Is this true? Is it safe for the 4 danios I have in the tank? Will this "quick fix" be detrimental in the future?

I doubt it would be detrimental in the future but whether it would help or not is a completely different matter. I have seen people use it sucessfuly (recently someone managed to fishless cycle with it which suggests it contains ammonia) and others say it is a waste of time. I personaly think you should avoid any products that claim to speed up cycling if you have fish in the tank and get some filter media or gravel from a healthy established tank instead - that is guaranteed to help.

I've also heard mixed reviews on cycling products, Bio-spira is supposed to be really good, and I've had personal results with cycle. However, I would never suggest using them as your only method of cycling. As sylvia said, see if you can get some gravel or filter media from an established tank to help the process :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back