Everyone's Pet Hate About The Local Fish Shop!

J

Jozlyn

I've just come back from a really lovely holiday in Queensland (Australia) and while I was there, I dragged my husband and children to a heap of Aquarium shops and I just couldn't believe my eyes!

I walked into pretty big store in Southport and they had ....... wait for it...... labels on EVERY single tank, which had the fish's common name, species name, adult size, water parameters (All of them), temp, ph, gh, kh, the whole box and dice. The guys working in there actually new all about fish and who could be in tanks together etc etc etc it was fantastic, wish I had one of those near me :)

Cool very nice. I wonder why dont they do that in all petshops so people can know what to get.

yeah i've seen shops like that which are great, but seen some with very dubious advice, one example i always remember is bala sharks, labelled up with they're max size correctly, got that they need to be in groups and water params ok so I thought great, then recommended minimum tank size .... 2ft :rolleyes: I can only hope that anyone who see's the fish is gonna get to a foot long can work out for themselves that it shouldn't be in a 2 foot tank! :rolleyes:

what gets my goat is:
when you want a particular fish thats in a crowded tank and the LFS assistant gives you that "you fussy sod look" and sighs at you.
totally rude i think, if i want that fish then they should get it as simple as that, not one that looks simular, plenty of times ive made them put the fish back until i get what i want.
one time i got a shoal of neons and 2 werent looking right so i asked him to change them, he said "what do you expect me to do with them, put them back" my reply was "well i dont know where else your gunna put them but they aint gunna end up in my tank, so the answer to that one is YES" lazy swine, hes gone from my LFS now and the new owner is getting the shop to look great and hes really friendly.

I gotta say, my petpeve working at a petstore is when people come in, point to a tank and say "I want that fish." and they expect you to know exactly which fish they pointed at, then when your netting the fish they'll be "OH not that one! that one!" and point again into a space that had like 10 fish... god it's annoying

My pet hate: small screechy children running around the LFS banging on the glass, screeching "NEMO!!!" at what are, very clearly, shrimps.

1. people who tap on the glass when there are signs every 4ft saying 'don't tap on the glass'

2. anyone using the word 'nemo' in an lfs.

3. new lfs staff who are unable to say 'sorry , I just don't know...I'll try and find out' but instead say 'oh yes I'm sure it'll be fine'

4. dead fish in tanks....

5. Maidenhead aquatics overpricing on dry goods, especially decor.....£3 a lb for slate!?!?!...do I look like an idiot?

6. Endless lfs staff that I've met who appear to have never been trained in how to capture a fish...in fact the standard of training for most staff is piss poor.

I think that's most of them...

agree with darkstar

i know the large pet chain stores have a lot to do (nuff said) but y oh y do they allow dead fish and the tanks to get into states where it clearly shows not enough staff or too little or no time for maintenance......very sad really

suppose when i first started fish keeping all what darkstar mentioned - we see and enocounter - and until we actually know what is correct "responsible" practice we accept it ..or think oh well they seem ok and nothing really is sinister looking...............however

NOW i could not care less what looks i get when choosing a fish and accept no reason or excuse - i want a certain fish = employee gets it - simple! - although when passing on info and asking a question concerning a problem but also trying to ascertain their level of knowledge in the same regard - many times they appreciate help and advice - depends how ya say it i guess!!

you definately get to know.........."the people in the know" - the others stay away from!!!!!

(had a spare soapbox there - thought i'd use it ) :look:

6. Endless lfs staff that I've met who appear to have never been trained in how to capture a fish...in fact the standard of training for most staff is piss poor.

[/quote]
oooh dear :lol: i know what you mean

A few of my pet hates:

1. LFSs that label up common plecos with either just 'Pleco' or worse - nothing at all. Generally these are the same places that'll try and sell you it as something else with no mention of how large it'll grow.

2. Must agree with Darkstar over slate issues :) I mean, why pay £3-£5 by the lb, when you can go to a local rockery place and get it for 99p for Great massive bits of rock and slate? You decide.

3. Customer-wise, ALL the stupid people who walk into a fish shop for the first time, decide they LOVE the marine aquariums and just HAVE to have a marine setup. On me and my girlfriend's searches we came across one woman who was basically saying to the LFS-man, "I don't care what you say, I'm sure they'll be fine in a normal tank, now I want to buy THESE ones" referring to the marine fish...I mean, how dumb are some people and how manby countless fish have died because of them? Or maybe these people only exist around where I live (?)

4. Shops where the fish are too small for sale... I only say this because one that we went to quite a bit has now started selling the tinyist angels (i mean, like a few millimeters) to the general public. I may be wrong, but surely that cant be right? Unless you really know what you're doing anyway.

5. People who answer your questions without even knowing the answers, like "Can I mix a Pirahna with angels and keyholes?" - "Of Course You Can, here's your receipt ,would you like a bag with that?".

6. Supermarkets (Even Pets-at-Home type places). I have seen fish in some of the most deplorable conditions. Certainly the ones I've been to anyway.

On a brighter note, I have to say, one of the BEST LFSs I've ever been to has to be 'World of Fishes' in East Grinstead, Sussex UK. From start to finish the best most knowledgable service I've ever had - especially for African Cichlids. THey will even turn people away and ask them to do more research before buying fish if they seem unready for the commitment. A tardis of supreme fishiness. :) (unfortunately haven't been able to go for a long time as moved a while ago and too far away).

nothign that hasnt already been said,
kids tapping on glass - really pisses me off
the staff selling beginners fish that will grow huge, plecs, RTBS, bala sharks
selling small goldfish bowls and advising customers to buy the fish same day as bowl
keeping bettas in crappy conditions
staff knowing nothing at all, and are only trying to make a sale, and will lie to you
over pricing

5. People who answer your questions without even knowing the answers, like "Can I mix a Pirahna with angels and keyholes?" - "Of Course You Can, here's your receipt ,would you like a bag with that?".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

I HATE HATE HATE fish shops who will sell goldfish and tell you they're ok in bowls! :angry: :angry: :grr:
And people who buy like bala sharks or angelfish or other fish that grow huge and think just cuz they're little they'll say that way.
And when shops never tell you anything about the fish. I know this lady who actually told people the right tank size for goldfish and actually told them that they CAN'T have angel fish or "those cool things that stick on the walls" (plecos)because they grow too big for their tanks.
Sometimes there are some knowledgable people in fish shop but most of the time they're hard to find.

I HATE HATE HATE fish shops who will sell goldfish and tell you they're ok in bowls!

I've acutally left 2 jobs at Lfs' about this. I simply hate shops that sell bowls, and I think I've said it before but I hate parents who come in and want a fish in too smaller tank and either say it only grows to the size of the tank :shout: :angry: or that it will be fine, you know nothing and they've had fish for years and they've been fine in a small piece of tupperware with no water chnages and no filter (exageration but you get the idea) oh yeah and people who can't control their kids and stop them TAPPING ON THE BLOODY TANKS ...

And calm, sorry

I've had my mom's friend come in and after I told her daughter (who's seven) about my fish the mom's like "well, we had a goldfish in a bowl and it died the day we got it..." and I went on elling her that they can't live in tap water and she's just like "oh that bas****" and yes she was refering to the poor fish. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back