Ever Added Something "unusual" To The Aquarium

saz326

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I decided to buy some indian almond leaves for my aquarium, knowing that the shrimp in there would enjoy the leaves, and that they would release natural tannins etc into teh water. But I never realised that my Keyhole cichlids would also find them so much fun.

The keyholes lift the leaves and then quickly swim backwards and look down - I guess they are looking to see if there is a tasty bug to eat under the leaf!

The cories also seem to like hiding under them!

Have you ever added anything to your aquarium that seemed to inspire the fish, or got an unexpected reaction from them?

I added a illuminous dinosaur to my texas cichlid tank (my little boy is dinosaur nuts :rolleyes: ) he hated it with a vengence, no matter what I did with it, he would rip it up and toss it around the tank, it was never in the same place for longer than 5 minutes, after a couple of weeks we moved it to another tank before he flung it thru the glass!

Not long ago, I had a cichlid in a QT tank temporarily while I sorted out some aggression issues. As he was going to be there for a month or so, I chucked in a couple of rocks and a coconut cave so he had somewhere to hide.

I set it up so the mouth of the cave was pointing towards the front, but he apparently didn't like that - he used to keep pushing the whole thing around so the entrance faced the back! If I turned it back round, I'd find it moved again within an hour or so.

Talk about unsocial! :lol:

When I first added my two African Dwarf Frogs to the same tank as my pink SB Convicts, the male convict didn't like them at all. He would grab a frog by the leg (or head, in one instance I saw), swim to the farthest part of the tank and spit him out! :(

Naturally, I had to move the ADFs into one of my more friendlier community tanks, where the fish are a bit more accepting of their froggy buddies!

Athena

My midas is quite large (14") and we've put toys in his tanks, mainly squeaky bath toys and a ball or two. It's not uncommon to glance over and see him swimming around and tossing/gnawing a rubber ducky.

Not long ago, I had a cichlid in a QT tank temporarily while I sorted out some aggression issues. As he was going to be there for a month or so, I chucked in a couple of rocks and a coconut cave so he had somewhere to hide.

I set it up so the mouth of the cave was pointing towards the front, but he apparently didn't like that - he used to keep pushing the whole thing around so the entrance faced the back! If I turned it back round, I'd find it moved again within an hour or so.

Talk about unsocial! :lol:
That is pretty funny!

That's why I love Cichlids...they have such a unique personality associated with them! :lol:

My Metriaclima Estherae Cichlid loves to take in a huge mouth full of sand inside his little cave. Then he swims out and spits the sand out on to a wall he is making...lol. He keeps on repeating this, and has been doing it for 3 days now! He is a funny little guy!

-FHM

I keep a lot of little 1-4" fish with my two foot rubber eels. Sometimes first meetings don't go to well, and some of the fish would rather jump out of the tank than remain in it. My true SAE was the worse, he went crazy and got really stressed out. He then spent about a month hiding from the eels, who were blind anyway :rolleyes:. In the end they all settle down and eventually figure out they are not going to get eaten.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back