Evening from East Riding (of Yorkshire)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

charleyfandango

Reaction score
Newby to here, relative newby to fish.

Recently moved to a sheltered accommodation flat a few miles from the Humber Estuary (moved the tank myself - NEVER doing that again). Tank is a 160 litre, basic, no frills with a few mixed Tetra, a grumpy Bristlenose and a handful of idiotic Cories. Might be persuaded to get something more flashy in the fish department once the current crop fizzle out but right now, perfectly happy with what is in there.

Moving the tank and fish was an utter nightmare, fortunately everyone including myself survived but not doing that again. Ever.

When taking up the rental of the flat and mentioned I had a tank, was asked how long, wide, tall and "exactly how heavy is it?"

The joys of living "upstairs". Thank goodness there is an elevator as would never have managed dealing with stairs.

But now sorted in a flat with the noisiest, creakiest floor in the world (fortunately it is the floating floor that is noisy and creaky and not the concrete one underneath)

Definitely recommend checking with "would be" landlords about the strength of floors when residing upstairs with a tank otherwise an indoor waterfall might accidently happen.

Just going to see what can be learnt here, ideas and generally compare notes.

Hello 👋🏻 I have a 240l tank that was set up before we had chance to decorate....safe to say the living room will have a tank-shaped unpainted space on the wall if we ever leave this house! Welcome aboard!

Hi and welcome to the forum... :hi:
Yes, wooden floors are a burden when it's got to hold a certain weight. Same goes for poriferous concrete floors.

Welcome to the forum

It is a great hobby and I would wager that that tank will not be your only tank this time next year

As for moving its a nightmare, I have a tank thats about 400kg in glass weight and I am never moving!!

Thanks for the welcomes.

Due to landlord permissions, this tank will be the only one and the only reason I was able to move it to my new home is entirely due to already having it. There is a very strict no new pets rule, which is fine by me.

The block has 18 flats, I am the youngster here at 60....the oldest is a lady who worked at Bletchley Park and is now 98 years young. Its a nice little community within a small block in a market town tween Hull and Withernsea.

One tank is more than enough for me now though and I am more than happy to stick to one.

My tank, the stand, water etc comes to about 275kg. Empty the tank took 4 of us to carry, hence why I am never doing that again. Since I am up on the first floor (guest room and communal laundry on ground floor underneath) I had to go through quite a long questionaire in regard to length, height, depth and weight before I was permitted to bring the tank with me. I gave the option of maybe installing it into the communal lounge if it was too much for the flat but they said it would be fine in the flat. They did insist on increased insurance though which I was happy to oblige with incase of any issues later on. Apparently my tank is the first they have had in this building since it was built in 1993, so I totally understand their concerns.

Most reactions

Back