Essential Tank Size For Gn

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
Nice and simple, what would you say is the minimum dimensions needed to keep a healthy Gold Nugget Plec?

Thanks.

Well they get to about 8 inches when they are adults so you need tank that they can comfortably turn around in, perhaps 12 inches or wider.

Anyone else agree or dissagree? So a 48 x 15 x 18 mbuna would be alright?

disagree, there are at least 3 different types of GN, the largest can reach 14-15 inch.

see here with the emphasis on this picture.

are mbunas African cichlids?

Yeh scrap my idea, spoke to maximus online and he told me about how there not armoured cats and wouldnt do well with mbuna (Yes, african cichlids), looks like im stuck with either BN's (Zzz) or syno's.

synos then all the way then imo.

not sure how a BN can be an armoured cat and a gn not though.

My 3" goldie is in a 4ft tank now but willmove into my 5ft when he grows up a bit. From what I can gather tehy can be very territorial and need plenty of space, especially is sharing with other plecs.

It is a shame as my LFS has just stocked to lovely specimens for £30 a piece. Nm, a future purchase im sure :)

Most gold nuggets you see in lfs are not the 14-15 inch ones they are the common 7-8 inch, so I was guessing that was the species you were purchasing. I wouldn't put it in with th africans for sure, but I agree with xingumike on the synodontis.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back