Essay on bettas.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Post essay??

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
:unsure: Where? (seriously I must know 😂 )
This will be submitted to a teacher.
glad you enjoyed it.
I can't find it by skimming it but you said something about inbreeding. But you said "inbreAding". I forget if there were other spelling errors but that was the one I saw. Again, really good job!

Who knows? Last summer I wrote I made a similar presentation about goldfish in fish bowls, and now my principal offered to buy a 55 gallon tank at school for me to set up
Wow!! That's awesome

This is a good piece. Just for the purists out there, how are the breeders of these fish meant to handle the hundreds of males if they don't keep them in one gallon or smaller containers. I have said for a long time that Bettas should be banned, Full stop.
Breeders are not the target audience.:)

I can't find it by skimming it but you said something about inbreeding. But you said "inbreAding". I forget if there were other spelling errors but that was the one I saw. Again, really good job!
Fixed em:)
@DragonScales+Doubletails A very good piece, well done. As you are handing this in to be marked (graded?) I’ll just say that you haven’t used a capital B every time you’ve written Betta. I’d hate you to lose marks for that.

It‘s a good, lively read, let us know what your teacher thinks of it!
I went through and fixed every lowercase b :)

I would recommend is to not quote PETA because of the organizations controversies which, regardless of your opinion on them, might reflect badly on the paper itself
I did look into that and I decided to keep them because I was in deep need of some evidence. and the essay is due today :rofl:

We’ll done, it feels a bit miserable pointing out such small errors in such a good piece of writing - but I want you to get maximum marks 🙂
If anything I'm happy you pointed this out, I ran it through a grammar checking service and they changed my capitalization on a few select words. the word Betta was usually changed to beta -_-

can I just say, LUCKY!
I wrote a 10 page essay on Bettas in 10th grade and I got an A+! I love writing papers in fish, it’s almost too easy because you already know all of the information. :fish:

I read and liked your paper.

One area you have to be aware of is this type subject will be difficult to defend (though easy in this group). On one hand it is pretty easy to note that bettas in a small plastic cup is not fair to the animal, but even in a 50 gallon tank is the betta living up to its potential? it does not get the same variety of foods, it has no challenges, it cannot pick its mate (usually) etc. Keeping animals in general often degrades the animals life experiences, but on the other hand might provide a life to an animal that would otherwise not exist. There is a continuum of care for the animals between ideal care and horrible cruel treatment, what is acceptable is not really based in science. Nature isn't all the nice either, some animals live in environments where life really isn't that pleasant simply because they are outcompeted in better environments. In the natural environment you could expect that a number of bettas will dry up and die each year, so most wild bettas will be exposed to poor water sometime in their lives.

The point I am trying to make is that one can always compare to care that is either better or worse whether we are talking about bettas living in cups or in big tanks. I view it as a reflection on my personal character how I treat my fish, but others treat them more like a commodity. I care for my fish but I also like to eat chickens, beef, and even fish. I personally struggle with what is right in regards to animal treatment, why is it ok to treat some animals differently than others?

Just exposing a different point of view. Your paper is much better than anything I would have been able to write at 14. I wish you good luck with it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back