Esha exit with carbon filter. Help needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rdoran88

Reaction score
I have recently had white spot break out in the aquarium so I have collected some Esha Exit for treatment. I put the required dosage in this morning and whilst at work realises the filter cartridge has carbon in it.

Does anyone know if the carbon will have taken out the meds in a period of 8 hours? The aquarium is just a small 30l superfish qubic.

would removing the carbon and adding a lesser dose to "top up" be alright. For example it was 6 drops this morning, would removing the carbon and adding 3 more drops act as a small counter to my error for leaving the carbon in?

Aquarium has 11 cardinal tetras in only

Yes, the carbon took the meds out.

I would wait for @Colin_T's advice for ich treatment.

For now, preform a large water change and do a substrate vacuum. (Also wipe in the inside of the tank down)

Thanks for the advice. Great to have such speedy replies when you're worrying. I will wait for @Colin_T like you say if that's okay with them.

While we wait for Colin, I can tell you that heat is a better treatment than chemicals. Do a big water change and use water that is warmer than the tank, then turn the heater up. You are aiming for a water temperature of 30 deg C (86 deg F). Leave it there for 2 weeks, then turn the heater back down to its usual setting. It's the temperature of the water that must be 30 deg C not the setting on the heater as they are usually badly calibrated.

Is there anyhting in the filter besides the carbon cartridge?

Assuming the white spot is ich raise your tank temperature to 30C. Use a thermometer and don't rely on the heater setting. Keep the temp at this level for 2 weeks after you no longer see any white spot. Water change and gravel vac as usual during this time. No other treatment is needed.

There's a chamber in the cartridge that is carbon and then it runs up to a sponge layer.

Yeah I have a mounted Aquarium thermometer as I was pre warned that heater presets are not totally reliable and it was right as the water temp reading is 25 but the heater was at 27

You don't actually need to run carbon full time. if there is other media in there as well, you can cut open the cartridge, throw away the carbon and put the empty cartridge back. Even better get some sponge, cut it to the same shape as the cartridge, remove the 'bag' part of the cartridge from the frame and lay it flat against the sponge and put that where the cartridge is supposed to go. Sponge only needs washing in water taken out during a water change, it will last for years.

Thanks for all the advice guys you have all been amazing.

I am sad to inform you all at this time though that I have lost 6 fish during the course of the day.

To say I am wounded is an understatement I am devastated. My local aquatic centre tested my water this morning whilst I was waiting for my master test kit from pro shrimp. The readings were all sound and well within parameters so it's soul destroying to think these little guys got sick so quickly.

I am left with 4 tetras and I know this is not an ideal number. I am working on everything I can as we speak but I am cautious as to not disturb things too much to stress them any further.

Again, thank you all so much you are a great community

Sorry about your loss. Do the 30 degree treatment anyway. After the 2 weeks don't add any more fish for at least another 2 weeks.
TBH a 30 litre cube is smaller than ideal for cardinals, so if anything you would only want to add 2 at most when the time comes.

If you can get the numbers for hardness members can advise what may be suitable companions for them. We need numbers and units for the GH. @essjay may be of some assistance here as she is in the NE.

We have all assumed the tank is cycled. Just in case it isn't this is useful reading https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ and having a lower fish load for at least 4 weeks will help the tank to catch up.

Northumbrian water no longer gives a number for hardness, just mis-leading words (they call my water slightly hard while at 5 dH it is actually soft)
I do have a pdf from Northumbria Water which is 10 years old, I have sent you a copy via the message system on here so you can check what your hardness was back then (look at the envelope symbol next to yuor name at the top of the page). Mine has increased by 1 dH but that is not enough to make any difference.
Once you've found it, post the number on here.

So we're talking around 6 to 8 dH allowing for the document being out of date. That is fine for cardinal tetras so the hardness is not a problem.

I am sorry about your loss of 6 tetras, the forum members have given you good advice. I hope the other fish will be alright. I would suggest a larger tank if you can afford one for the tetras, they like plenty of room to swim and if you plan on rebuilding your cardinal shoal they will need the room for that too. Also small tanks are more likely to have things go wrong for the fish where a larger tanks tend to dissipate the problem over a larger volume of water reducing it affects on the fish.

I'm going to look into buying a bigger setup as a lot of threads and posts are saying the same thing. I thought starting relatively small would have been better but at 30l I have heard a small problem will spread a lot faster than say 60-100l

Again I have to thank everyone for their help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back