Equipment Advice For Essay

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vonster

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am writing an essay about a South American blackwater creek biotope aquarium of a size of 66 UK gallons (79 US gallons).

The aquarium is stocked with…
• 10 marbled hatchetfish
• 10 rosy tetra (possibly more)
• 4 cockatoo dwarf cichlids
• 10 emerald catfish

(I will probably increase the stocking levels later on).

The tank includes some plants (Frogbit, Vallisneria, and Sword plants) but is not heavily planted. It contains plenty of wood, leaf litter, and a sandy substrate (this was recommended for the catfish, but I may have to change it for the plant roots).

I now have to choose, explains reasons for, and detail the maintenance of the aquarium equipment. I would be very grateful if you could please read the below and confirm if my choices are suitable. If you have any advice for one or more of the questions below, it’d be much appreciated! :D

************************************************** ********************************

Filter
I am going to use an external canister filter capable producing slow flows (have found some of these online). I’m thinking of using sponge and ceramics as the filter media. Would you recommend peat at all? Or am I better off with just relying on the wood and/or blackwater extract for the tea-stained appearance?

Heaters
One of my reference books recommends 300 watts for this size of tank. However, I have read in several sources that large tanks are better suited to two heaters in order to evenly spread the heat, so I’d need 2 x 150w heaters. A ‘large tank’ to a novice is like asking ‘how long is a piece of string’ – would you recommend one or two heaters?

Light
All the recommendations online are for ‘subdued lighting’ and don’t seem to suggest a specific light or wattage – what would you deem a suitable wattage/lighting model (I have floating plants for the hatchetfish)? I would prefer a light incorporated into a tight-fitting hood.

Aeration
Other than a slow flow, I haven’t found any recommendations for the aeration set-up. How many airstones, valves and what size pump would you recommend?

Note: do I need/would you recommend
• A UV sterilizer
• Carbon injection (I read this is not suitable for beginners)
• RO water (don't need specific water stats for this essay, but I know the local water ranges from slightly hard to very hard, and I'd need soft and acidic for this aquarium).

************************************************** ********************************

Thank you for your help!

Filter
your idea is OK. Peat is not needed, and very harmful to collect. Use oak/Indian Almond Leaves to lower ph and stain the water.

Heaters 
2 heaters

Light 
Compact florescent bulbs
Or a few LED strips you could tape/glue to the hood

Aeration
You don't need a pump or air stones at all. If you want you could get a small power head. Go for 5-10 times tank turnover per hour.

I don't recommend UV sterilizers  or carbon injection 
RO is good, but can be replaced with tap water if you have a tight budget. 

If you need me to explain more about my choices, id be happy to! I hope i helped, Good Luck!!!

As far as I kniow, the reason for two heaters is in case one malfunctions, you won't have too many issues until you get a replacement. Cost-wise it's probably cheaper to get a single heater, but if it fails in the dead of winter and you can't get to the shop for a new one, you're in trouble.

A tank with a reasonable water flow and a single heater will distribute the heat as easily as having two heaters.

Thank you for your tips, Malex530 and Gruntle! The aeration tips were particularly helpful - can't believe how simple this tank is in terms of equipment! I think I've managed to include everything I need within the essay - think I'm ready to take on the care of real fish now rather than imaginary ones! :) Have certainly learnt a lot doing this module! Thanks again for your help.

If you really do set this up IRL, be sure to cycle it fish-less first following THIS. I think I'm just being slow and you meant all the info you have has made you confident that you could do it IRL..which means your essay is probably wonderful! Good luck, am sure you'll get a high grade.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back