Epsom Salts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ingo_1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My fancy is having problems with his swim bladder and either floating belly up or stuck at the bottom. :(

I can't get him to eat peas, so I've been giving him epsom salt baths (3tbls to 10L). I was wondering whether epsom salts can be added to the tank water rather than giving him baths?

I'll just check...

1 rounded tablespoon per 19l/5US galls

Remember to add in in slowly over a period of time and make sure there's plenty of surface movement.

I dont see how salt of any kind can help swim bladder problems.
what is the fishes normal diet? anything fed from the surface will cause the fish to gulp air and fill the swim bladder with air. flaked foods are a big factor for this and should be fed pre soaked and under the water. gel foods will help to get the fish eating a good diet.
have you noticed him poo recently, and if so what did it look like?
starving the fish for 3 days then feeding peas that have been boiled for 4 minutes, husked and squashed should help him clear himself out. if he wont go to the food, try offering it next to his mouth from your fingers. do the peas for a couple of days and if that doesnt help then you may need to look more into a disease or tumour of the bladder itself.
high nitrate levels can make fish floaty as well, so have those tested.

true :) worth a try if nothing else and would like to know if it helps at all.

i have always seen salt baths recommended for bloated fish...i assumed that the stress of the bath was supposed to help force out the poop... but how exactly does it help swim bladder (not starting argument, just curious) :dunno:

abstract said:
i have always seen salt baths recommended for bloated fish...i assumed that the stress of the bath was supposed to help force out the poop... but how exactly does it help swim bladder (not starting argument, just curious) :dunno:
See above about epsom salts. They are used to help constipation in humans and people use it for the same on fish.

Yes, epsom salts make you poo same as the peas (I have tried force feeding, just spits them out). I'm treating with interpet swim bladder disease too. It's not the first time he's had this and the water's good. I think feeding him bloodworm has caused it.

It works on the principle of osmotic pressure. When 2 bodies of water (the fish & the fishtank) are separated by a semi-permiable membrane (the fish's skin) water will flow from the low solute side to the high solute side. This draws fluid from the bloated fish.

Tolak

Tolak said:
It works on the principle of osmotic pressure. When 2 bodies of water (the fish & the fishtank) are separated by a semi-permiable membrane (the fish's skin) water will flow from the low solute side to the high solute side. This draws fluid from the bloated fish.

Tolak
thanks, thats what i was wondering!

but what if the problem is air and not fluid, if a fish has swim bladder problems its generally due to too much or too little air or the inability of the swimbladder to function properly such as a tumour or bacterial/viral disease. if the fish has too much fluid in the stomach isnt that dropsy, which epsom salt and heat may help. incidentally, the swimbladder meds as far as i can see will only kill the bacteria in the water as fish dont swallow water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back