Endlicheri Questions

the_evil_duboisi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, I recently got my favorite fish of all, a cute 3.5 inch baby Polypterus endlicheri. Actually now he's almost 4 inches.

I have a few questions regarding endli's....

1) Are they supposed to be so lazy? Mine only makes a complete swim around the tank every so and so, while my old senegals were always out and swimming, espcially near the top. Mine seems to like to loaf. Also is a rather lazy eater. My "starve new pollys for two days then teach them to come up for food" routine didn't work this time, just picks up food off the bottom.

2) Why do they gill colors change? Once when I see them, they're red, then brown, etc. BTW, they are disappearing bit by bit.

3) How fast do they grow? By doing some power feeding can they grow as fast as senegals, or more?

Don't kill me, he is my favorite fish, but I was just curious.

Do you perhaps think I'm counting on him so much, because my old senegals did? If so, I'll try to repress it :blush:

1) Are they supposed to be so lazy? Mine only makes a complete swim around the tank every so and so, while my old senegals were always out and swimming, espcially near the top. Mine seems to like to loaf. Also is a rather lazy eater. My "starve new pollys for two days then teach them to come up for food" routine didn't work this time, just picks up food off the bottom.

Activity levels vary between individuals but in general lower jaw bichirs tend to be inactive especially compared to a senegal(sneak a peek at night its possibly all over th tank then).

2) Why do they gill colors change? Once when I see them, they're red, then brown, etc. BTW, they are disappearing bit by bit.

because as they mature they depend less on the external gills and generaly lose or reabsorbs them.

3) How fast do they grow? By doing some power feeding can they grow as fast as senegals, or more?

There are several things that can effect growth rate genetics, tank conditions etc etc some grow quickly some grow slow
to help reach max.growth rate for your fish keep the water clean, low80sF,and offer small amounts of food daily instead of
one or two big meals per day-Anne

Hey, you're right! Why didn't I calm down and think so? I'm such a nut :blush: I'll ask two more questions

Do frequent water changes help in growth? I hate seeing the piles of poo in the tank so I do weekly 30% water changes

How could I train him to come to the surface for food? He only eats off the bottom, though he seems to know that feeding is easier in open places, so that's were he goes, and waits, for me to feed him :hyper:

i dont know much about the water changes but they sure get big. potentially big enough to eat your senegal actually. i dont know if this'd work, but what i do with my eels is that i hold the food right before them, and lure them up to the surface to feed. now my eels never ever feed from the bottom :lol:

In my experience, almost all bichirs will accept brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and prawns. It can be hit and miss with krill, lobster eggs, and tubifex.

Ryan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back