Endlers

saltynay

Patron
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Singapore
My endlers seem to be spending a lot of time hiding behind the filter and next to the heater. I am not sure whether this is due to water flow as the filter is Fluval 2+ and the tank is a 5 gallon, my small filter is broken. So is the current forcing them to only venture out for food and seek shelter in the rlative calm next to the pump? My other theory is it could be the water temps being to cold, water temps are at 25C under heater and 24C on the far side of the tank which is in the upper ranges for keeping them, so I doubt this is the problem.

If its the pump being too strong I could pick a new one up on the way back from college, then turn the 2+ off and leave it in the tank with the smaller one running and after a month hopefully the new one will be mature enough to be self sufficient? I will be also getting some amano or rainbow shrimp so is a current even needed or will a fixed sponge work just aswell?
 
A Fluval 2+ in a 5 gal is really quite strong. I'd say it was that. Get a HOB filter or something like a stingray or other small type.

You don't need to turn off the 2+ and leave it in there, just take out the used cycled media and fill the new filter with it. Since the media is already loaded with bacteria, you won't go through a cycle because it's already done.

As long as the tank is filtered you should be able to keep a few shrimp with little trouble.
 
A Fluval 2+ in a 5 gal is really quite strong. I'd say it was that. Get a HOB filter or something like a stingray or other small type.

You don't need to turn off the 2+ and leave it in there, just take out the used cycled media and fill the new filter with it. Since the media is already loaded with bacteria, you won't go through a cycle because it's already done.

As long as the tank is filtered you should be able to keep a few shrimp with little trouble.

Thanks will do, hopefully the results will show by tonight going to go to my LFS in a couple of hours think I will get a stingray 10 just so there is a bit of adaptability incase I upgrade the tank. I have taken the background off the tank now and oddly the endlers seem more adventurous but still very shy can't tell if they are hiding from me or trying to keep to the low current areas, they can swim against the filter but only appear to put the effort in when tempted by food.
 
Have you turned the outflow nozzel so that it points at the farthest back corner of the tank or the back wall? That will deflect the flow somewhat until you get the new filter and create an area of slower water near the front for them to swim in comfortably.
 
Sorry for the kinda bad image quality I have tried several nozzle positions. I originally had it like this
10022009548.jpg


Then moved it so that it was deflected to the left of the filter, then moved it so it deflected off the right wall, trying the main positions as such. Then leaving for a couple of hours to allow the fish to get use to the change, they still seem to huddle around the heater corner. Its back in the position above atm. I am going to get a new thermometer, filter and some plants and substrate today perhaps with more cover they will be more adventurous, they have been in the tank for 4 days so could still be stressed and shy from the move.

Under filtration for the shrimp and fish shouldn't be a prob I am going to change the water 20-30% 2 times a week, testing once a fortnight (unless a problem occurs and needs to be checked sooner) until completely stocked and stable then probably once in a while.
 
I got a rena filstar i1 filter and the sponges are too big to fit in that filter so I have layed them in the substrate will this be sufficient until the rena matures? Its quite noisy my other option was a fluval 1+ is that quieter?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top