Emersed aquarium plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™ve came across a video about aquarium plants growing emersed and herd that they grow faster emersed and I was wondering if anyone has grown plants emersed and if its even worthwhile doing. also I plan on doing hydrocotlye and Anubias nana.

Hello, Iā€™ve came across a video about aquarium plants growing emersed and herd that they grow faster emersed and I was wondering if anyone has grown plants emersed and if its even worthwhile doing. also I plan on doing hydrocotlye and Anubias nana.
Do you plan on selling the plants?

Many of our aquarium plants are amphibious marsh or bog plants in their habitats. That means they can grow submersed or emersed. Some species use both depending upon the wet season or the dry season. While emersed is faster and thus less expensive for nurseries, you should plant them either emersed or submersed, depending upon whether this is an aquarium or terrarium/paludarium.

The switch from submersed to emersed and emersed to submersed is not rapid. The plants in many cases have to produce a different leaf structure depending; emersed plants are generally less rigid than emersed, and emersed leaves need to be thicker to avoid the loss of water, something that submersed plants do not need to worry about. The leaves can also be quite different in their shape. Sword plants in the genus Echinodorus show all of these characteristics very obviously.

If you intend keeping these plants in an aquarium, do not grow them emersed unless you intend selling them.

To answer your question, I grow emersed plants and it is worthwhile. They grow emersed very quickly because they have an unlimited supply of CO2 as well as other factors. Many of us keep paludariums with all sorts of emersed plants. I am attaching an image of my courtyard pond showing Java fern, Water sprite and Java moss growing emersed. You can see the Java moss on the pond's edge just under the Iris. The key to success is high humidity. You mention hydrocotlye and Anubias. Hydrocotlye (Pennywort) will grow emersed without any help. Anubias will also grow emersed but in my experience, it needs very high humidity. Place Anubias near a HOB filter return so that it gets splashing water and stays damp. Give it a try!

Attachments

• IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 27
I might Im not planning on selling but if I have/need I might I just want to have a ā€œunlimitedā€ supply of plants.

Many aquarium plants once settled will reproduce vegetatively faster than you may be able to keep up with them. And they can live for years some of them.

Many aquarium plants once settled will reproduce vegetatively faster than you may be able to keep up with them. And they can live for years some of them.
So I probably would have to sell or recycle them

How do you plan to grow them?
Iā€™m still trying to figure them out I think imma do a plastic container with some sort of media like lave rock or a media balls with holes and some type of fertilized dirt.

It is best to fully research that before spending money on expensive plants. Do you have an extra aquarium with a glass lid? They are easy to find at yard sales and cheap. I am sure there are posts in our plant section about emersed growth. Best to check there first. If not, I will help you and I am sure others will too. Do you have an established aquarium now?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back