Emergency question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Right ok, letā€™s start with what test kit are you using?

And have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

What recent changes have you made with your tank, like new decor or plants etc

And lastly, what is your usual routine regarding weekly water changes ?

These questions are fairly obvious for someone like yourself from the sound of it but I ask these just to help us build up a mental picture of what your tank is like and what is the usual water parameters are like etc. Then we can take things from there.

Right ok, letā€™s start with what test kit are you using?

And have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

What recent changes have you made with your tank, like new decor or plants etc

And lastly, what is your usual routine regarding weekly water changes ?

These questions are fairly obvious for someone like yourself from the sound of it but I ask these just to help us build up a mental picture of what your tank is like and what is the usual water parameters are like etc. Then we can take things from there.
Okay Iā€™m using the API test kits with the drops/tubes.
I havenā€™t tested the tap recently but I did when the problem first arises in his original tank and there was nothing out of the ordinary, which makes sense because I use the same water for my 30 gallon that is perfect prior to now. Ive originally had bought a couple new decorations for his tank, and cycled it with those in there. However, when I got him and noticed the ammonia I immediately removed them and tested them thinking it may be them which sure enough one of them tested very highly somehow. But, after that I have even taken all decorations out besides 1 live plant and the gravel (that tested negative for any ammonia) and he was STILL getting ammonia. So as for new items, I have none at the moment. Heā€™s out of that tank being a roommate with my others and he has spiked their ammonia now too when Iā€™ve added nothing to the tank besides the betta and the tank divider. As for water changes, I originally did 50% each week in his 5 gallon which worked okay until the ammonia settled in and then I literally had to change like just a little bit maybe 20% almost every other day to keep him alive. And thatā€™s when I decided to move him to this freshly cleaned 30 gallon that had no ammonia whatsoever and in only a week of him being in it has risen to 2ppm.
I will test my tap water again now, but I donā€™t see how that could be it considering my 30 gallon has been fine. The only common factor is the fish lol heā€™s driving me crazy

Okay Iā€™m using the API test kits with the drops/tubes.
I havenā€™t tested the tap recently but I did when the problem first arises in his original tank and there was nothing out of the ordinary, which makes sense because I use the same water for my 30 gallon that is perfect prior to now. Ive originally had bought a couple new decorations for his tank, and cycled it with those in there. However, when I got him and noticed the ammonia I immediately removed them and tested them thinking it may be them which sure enough one of them tested very highly somehow. But, after that I have even taken all decorations out besides 1 live plant and the gravel (that tested negative for any ammonia) and he was STILL getting ammonia. So as for new items, I have none at the moment. Heā€™s out of that tank being a roommate with my others and he has spiked their ammonia now too when Iā€™ve added nothing to the tank besides the betta and the tank divider. As for water changes, I originally did 50% each week in his 5 gallon which worked okay until the ammonia settled in and then I literally had to change like just a little bit maybe 20% almost every other day to keep him alive. And thatā€™s when I decided to move him to this freshly cleaned 30 gallon that had no ammonia whatsoever and in only a week of him being in it has risen to 2ppm.
I will test my tap water again now, but I donā€™t see how that could be it considering my 30 gallon has been fine. The only common factor is the fish lol heā€™s driving me crazy

ALSO
I have noticed that each time I freshly clean this tanks (he has been in 3-4 new tanks now) there is never any ammonia reading at the very start and then the following day is when I get a pretty high reading even though half the time he hasnā€™t even been fed yet since the cleaning

I just tested my tap water and thereā€™s nothing. I then assumed it may be a filter problem but itā€™s working fine before I added him and I also had ammonia when he was in his temporary tank I put him in that didnā€™t even have a filter. Iā€™m so lost Iā€™ve tried taking out all his decorations. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s the new bottle of water conditioner? I have no idea but Iā€™ve always used this brand. I have the tetra aqua safe

Hmm, that IS unusual to be honest.

2ppm ammonia is very high toxicity, pretty much lethal and there should be symptoms at the very least on your fish if this really is the case.

Are any if your fish showing anything like gasping, lethargic, red gills and staying at top or bottom of tank etc?

Hmm, that IS unusual to be honest.

2ppm ammonia is very high toxicity, pretty much lethal and there should be symptoms at the very least on your fish if this really is the case.

Are any if your fish showing anything like gasping, lethargic, red gills and staying at top or bottom of tank etc?
My other fish seem okay so far as I was able to hurry up and get most of the ammonia out with a water change but my betta who has been dealing with this ammonia off and on for so long does have fin rot but he isnā€™t lethargic at all which is strange. He seems very happy. But I know, I was so scared when I tested. Itā€™s now at about .5ppm as I have been using remover drops, etc.

My other fish seem okay so far as I was able to hurry up and get most of the ammonia out with a water change but my betta who has been dealing with this ammonia off and on for so long does have fin rot but he isnā€™t lethargic at all which is strange. He seems very happy. But I know, I was so scared when I tested. Itā€™s now at about .5ppm as I have been using remover drops, etc.
I donā€™t even know what to do anymore, but I greatly appreciate you trying to look into it. Iā€™m just going to have to move him back out soon probably if this ammonia doesnā€™t settle as I donā€™t want it to harm my other fish. Iā€™ve never experienced this before with any other betta Iā€™m stumped. But again thanks for trying :)

Hmm, if your betta is not showing any symptoms of ammonia poisoning then that kind of leads me to think the ammonia reading is false or wrong somehow.

Do you normally test nitrite and nitrate as well?
If so, what readings do you get?

What is the ā€œremover dropsā€ you speak of?

Hmm, if your betta is not showing any symptoms of ammonia poisoning then that kind of leads me to think the ammonia reading is false or wrong somehow.

I did test those at the start with no reading but havenā€™t very recently so Iā€™ll do that now too. And the drops I have gotten are 1. Imagitarium ammonia remover and 2. Amquell plus ammonia detoxifier. Iā€™ll test the nitrites/nitrates now

I have no nitrites 0ppm, and I have about 10ppm for nitrates. I do have a very dirty pletco in the tank though. But I have never had any reading of ammonia besides whatā€™s normal when due for cleaning in this tank before adding the betta in, leading me to assume the kit should be good considering it can read low ammonia but I know itā€™s confusing with them not showing symptoms. Iā€™m at a loss

Also, to make things more confusing, I have deep cleaned a 1 gallon tank that has had no fish in it as an experiment that only has gravel in it and even that has ammonia after I let it sit for 2-3 days.
yet it never has ammonia at first as my tap does not read any ammonia (and Iā€™ve tried store bought betta water) and I do condition it. Thatā€™s why I questioned the water conditioner but Iā€™m so lost! None of this makes any sense lol I always get the weird situations.

Also, to make things more confusing, I have deep cleaned a 1 gallon tank that has had no fish in it as an experiment that only has gravel in it and even that has ammonia after I let it sit for 2-3 days.
yet it never has ammonia at first as my tap does not read any ammonia (and Iā€™ve tried store bought betta water) and I do condition it. Thatā€™s why I questioned the water conditioner but Iā€™m so lost! None of this makes any sense lol I always get the weird situations.
Iā€™ve had fish for so many years and these past few months everythingā€™s randomly gone out of wack and itā€™s driving me crazy Iā€™m so confused

Ok, if zero nitrite and a reading of nitrate then that suggests to me the tank is cycled.

The water conditioner, what brand do you use?

It been known that Seachem Prime can give false readings of ammonia shortly after water changes for example.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back