Emergency Need Help With Fluval External Filter Please Help

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
10,983
Reaction score
4,798
Points
113
Location
East Yorks
Hi there just set up my new tank and the filter it came with was a fluval FX5. I have moved all my media over from my old filters and it runs okay for about 5 mins and then it just cuts out so I have to unplug it and re plug it again and it works okay. Why is it cutting out? I dont understand?

Please help as soon as possible I am going to be up all night until I can get answers and get it running smooth
 
LOLS just read the online manual - it cuts out after 2 mins to let out air for 2 mins then it restarts and runs continuously until its unplugged again at which point it will start the process again after being plugged back in. EPIC FAIL Ive been doing a stupid circle all night but just waited 2 mins and its sorted its self.

.....still not going to sleep tonight though *sigh* Wonder what time Dave goes off :P

Wills
 
Its still quite noisy though does any one else have that at all?
 
Canisters are really noisey after first being setup and after you clean them. Most of the noise is do to air trapped in the filter. It should quite down after a day or so. If not I would open it add more water to it then put the lid on(best do this over a sink).
 
The FX5 can be noisy when first set up, but like most filters, once all the air is gone, it should quieten down, if it doesnt check the impellor is sited properly and moving freely.

LOL at the cutting out, yes it does it when 1st set up and will stop every 24hrs for 2 minuts to purge any air in it, you get used to and eventually stop waiting for it to happen.
 
Tried hitting it to knock the air out?... Seems a bit 'caveman' I know :lol: But works on my 304.
 
Its kind of like a dull hum its much better this morning, last night it drowned out the TV. But its getting better as time goes on this morning.

The fish love the tank so far!! Hoping to scoot off to an LFS to have a look see for some new fishes. It is huge! looks quite empty at the moment might start a journal about it ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top