Elephant Nose and Bichir Tank Mate Discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ElephantNose98

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am going to be getting a bichir (either Senegal or Delhzi) along with an Elephant Nose Fish. They will start in my rectangular 75 gallon tank.

I was hoping to get some advice on what else can go in the tank?

I was looking at the following:
Gourami's - any thoughts?
Angelfish or Discus - any thoughts?
Congo Tetras and/or Beckford's Pencilfish - any thoughts?
Red Tail Shark? - I really like this but do not know if it can work?

ALSO OPEN TO MORE IDEAS JUST DROP THEM BELOW

Thank you all

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Elephant nose and other mormyrid fishes do best in groups of their own kind.

It is preferable to not have too many types of bottom dwelling fishes in the same tank. Having a bichir and elephant nose and red tail shark could be a problem.

Birchirs eat small narrow fish so no pencilfish.

Congo tetras are boisterous and should be fine with the birchir but might stop the elephant nose getting any food.

Unless you have a bit of fish keeping experience, I wouldn't touch discus.

A group of angelfish might work with the elephant nose but not with congo tetras.

A pair or single pearl gourami should be ok. I wouldn't keep blue or gold gouramis with elephant nose. And no small gouramis with birchirs because they will get eaten during the night.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Elephant nose and other mormyrid fishes do best in groups of their own kind.

It is preferable to not have too many types of bottom dwelling fishes in the same tank. Having a bichir and elephant nose and red tail shark could be a problem.

Birchirs eat small narrow fish so no pencilfish.

Congo tetras are boisterous and should be fine with the birchir but might stop the elephant nose getting any food.

Unless you have a bit of fish keeping experience, I wouldn't touch discus.

A group of angelfish might work with the elephant nose but not with congo tetras.

A pair or single pearl gourami should be ok. I wouldn't keep blue or gold gouramis with elephant nose. And no small gouramis with birchirs because they will get eaten during the night.

So what I’m gathering is either pick angel or Congo’s? Can the gouramis go with either of these?

Lastly, will a rainbow shark work at all? I like those as much as red tails in terms of appearance.

Thank you for the help!!

Personally, I would just get a school of elephant noses and let them hang out together, without anything else.

So what I’m gathering is either pick angel or Congo’s? Can the gouramis go with either of these?

Lastly, will a rainbow shark work at all? I like those as much as red tails in terms of appearance.
Congos will be too active for angelfish and the congos might be a problem when it comes to feeding the elephant nose. So either keep congo tetras without angels and without the elephant nose, or keep angels and elephant nose without congos.

----------
Pearl gouramis should be ok with angelfish or congos in the big tank. I would not keep blue or gold gouramis with angelfish.

There are various small gouramis that will go with angelfish but they don't do well with congo tetras. Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all its colour forms because they have a couple of diseases that can't be cured. Most other small species of gourami are fine.

----------
Rainbow sharks are more peaceful than redtail black sharks, but my concern is the number of bottom dwellers in the tank. A male rainbow shark might decide he wants the entire tank as his territory and could hassle the elephant nose. Male rainbow sharks have a black edge to the anal fin, females don't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back