Electric shock from a aquarium vacuum?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bluebird42

Reaction score
I recently purchased a rather cheap electric aquarium vacuum off ebay....because I can't get the pump kind to actually pick up debris from the gravel. What are the chances of me being electrocuted by this thing?
Also, is electrocution via aquarium common? Should I worry?

I use to get zapped all the time. I have had 5 heart attacks since then, no idea if its related :)

Return the item, they are not worth the money. Just use a plain old boring gravel cleaner like the one in the following link. Kink the hose when using it so you don't suck up the sand. I have used this style of gravel cleaner in tanks with lime sand and not had an issue.
http://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

But you should not get zapped by an aquarium appliance unless it is faulty and they normally have pretty strict guidelines because it is electricity and water.

FYI, 99% of the time I got zapped was from salt creep or condensation getting into the light units. Suspending the lights above the tank so they are not in contact with the aquarium helps prevent this. The only other time I got zapped was when a heater broke and I had my hand in the tank. That got the old heart racing, made my hair stand up too according to my friend who was lolling at me while I staggered about after it happened.

The only other time I got zapped was when a heater broke and I had my hand in the tank. That got the old heart racing, made my hair stand up too according to my friend who was lolling at me while I staggered about after it happened.

I assume the fish in that tank at the time didn't make it? @Colin_T

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back