Electric Blue Cichlids

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

AllusiveLife

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I went to Petco and they had a sale on Electric blues, 5.99 per. Regularly 13.99 Each one is about 4 inches, and I wanted to make sure the person getting them for me has an idea on how to sex them. She stated that the real dark ones are females, and the one's with good blue color and the white stripe on their top are most likely males. But since the provider gives them a dose of sexual stuff, that there are females that develope the white line and lose it over a period of time. I'd like to know if the Electric Yellows and the Electric Blues could one night have some :whistle: and reproduce...

Also, What do you guy's recommend feeding these fish inorder for them to reproduce?

Electic blue Johanni? In this case males are dark blue, females are yellow.

Electric blue Fryeri/Ahli? In this case the males are blue, females dull grey.

Johanni and Caeruleus (blue and yellow) will not likely breed together, thankfully. To get mbuna or haps to breed you merely need to add water and keep it clean.

freddyk - actually johanni are blue males with yellow females, electric blue johanni have bloth blue males and females, there is a slight difference but im not sure what that is.

Good food is special cichlid food or shrimp and shrimp pellets. I also heard feeding blood works bloats cichlids but I don't know how true that is.

freddyk - actually johanni are blue males with yellow females, electric blue johanni have bloth blue males and females, there is a slight difference but im not sure what that is.

I'm confused by what your saying here. From my knowledge the first part, that johannis have blue males and yellow females, is correct. The second part confuses me as you then say johanni's have blue males and females.

I'm confused by what your saying here. From my knowledge the first part, that johannis have blue males and yellow females, is correct. The second part confuses me as you then say johanni's have blue males and females.

there are two types of Johanni, the regular johanni and the electric blue / maingano johanni.
the regualr johanni has blue males and yellow ladies
the maingano are both blue
you can check it out on google and youll see
help any?

i believe so, ive heard some breeders use them as both, id be sure to ask, but its my understanding that the electric blue is the maingano, with both male and female being blue. d:D

That would explain why I always get confused, I keep thinkin of the electric johhanni as a third species

if you want me to confuse you some more the "electric blue" or "maingano" can also be called the, more commonly, Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos ! :S

I have the electric blue johannis in my tank and the females are very very close to the males in colour. One of my females is very dull in colour. But the other one i thought was another male right up till i found she was holding last month.

WoW, this is so confusing... :eek:

I bought two that have the bright white stripe on their top, and two that were just dull with somewhat yellow but not so bright yellow fins.

Shrimp makes them bloated. I fed them shrimp, and they got bloated and sunk to the bottom, and just died. (Those were the Electric Yellows)

So can someone inform me which Blues I got? They were said to be Electric Blues on the tank I got them from.

Also...

So the Yellow Electric Cichlids will not mate with the Blue electric Cichlids?

Most reactions

Back