Electric blue Acaras. Male protecting the fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just a theory, might be you moved them to soon, extra stress?
I have never used a basket, as mentioned I had at least one parent with the fry free swimming in the tank. The fry do learn from the parent and I found a well seasoned tank has all kinds of micro goodies for them to eat.
Just a few questions,
What were you feeding the fry and how often?
I always fed mine freshly hatched brine shrimp, 2-3x a day. After a week or so start adding Golden pearls along with the bbs. Need to wean them off the bbs so over the course of a few weeks start mixing in fry powder. Eventually no more bbs and use regular crumbles (pellets) they learn its food.
Why the carbon?
I have only used the carbon after a very rare med treatment.

Good Luck!

Most of the time, it's malnutrition that gets fry in breeder containers. We try hard, but what they find in an established tank beats what most people offer.

Broodcare in them is like broodcare in us. There's instinct and learning combined. If they were raised artificially, with no parents to model on, the proper broodcare instincts aren't triggered. Normally, both male and female would be equal partners.

Most of the time, it's malnutrition that gets fry in breeder containers. We try hard, but what they find in an established tank beats what most people offer.

Broodcare in them is like broodcare in us. There's instinct and learning combined. If they were raised artificially, with no parents to model on, the proper broodcare instincts aren't triggered. Normally, both male and female would be equal partners.
Thanks for all the advice, I believe it was malnutrition. I listened to the wrong person and was grinding pellets to a fine powder. We thought we had great parents at first. But one night we went to bed and when we woke up. Dad was viciously protecting the fry from mom. And she is only 2". We got scared for her and though we were protecting the fry and her by removing them. Within an hour fas was ready to have more. But 2 days later the dry were gone. I will have some baby brine shrimp on deck for next time.

The best food for baby cichlids is newly hatched brineshrimp.

The babies should also remain with the adults for the first month or until the babies swim off on their own and don't return to the parents at night.

Can someone please help.
For about a week everything was fine and the mom and dad shared taking care of the fry...now the name is constantly changing the female away from the fry. What is going on? What do I need to do?
Well, here we go again. Eggs are laid out Looks like the parents are learning allot The dad is way more into everything this time. I'm a little worried. My wife brought home a gold severum and an albino strawberry peacock cichlid. They are really small so I don't think they will mess with the eggs or dry. If so, I believe the parents can and will defend them.

Picture of the peacock cichlid?

If the peacock cichlid is an Aulonocara species, it comes from Lake Malawi in Africa and needs water with a GH around 300ppm and a pH around 7.6-8.0.

Blue acaras come from softer water with a pH closer to 7.0.

Severums are usually from softer water again with a pH below 7.0.

If the peacock cichlid is an Aulonocara species, it comes from Lake Malawi in Africa and needs water with a GH around 300ppm and a pH around 7.6-8.0.

Well posted. :)

That is why I always researched a new fish under consideration in the past to make sure that it would do well in the tank conditions. That research sure is a LOT easier today with the internet than when I had to go to the local library.

I know about the different water parameters. 8m really nervous. Like I said, my wife brought them home. The only good thing I have going is I read that if they were breed in Florida they do ok on lower Ph. The pH in that tank is 6.5. The gold severum seems to be doing fine. Hungry and not afraid of anything. The peacock however stays to himself. But bis not showing any kind of distress. What should I do?

Attachments

• 20220730_194650.jpg
    20220730_194650.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220730_195053.jpg
    20220730_195053.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 35
I would move the peacock into its own tank and increase the pH and possibly the GH, depending on what the GH is.

African Rift lake cichlids did not evolve in acid water and die if kept in soft acid water.

Iban cycling a rank now. The GH is high in tank itsbin. Now.
When I switch him over to the new tank with a higher PH should I don't gradually? Will the sudden change hurt him?or her?

I would move the peacock into its own tank and increase the pH and possibly the GH, depending on what the GH is.

African Rift lake cichlids did not evolve in acid water and die if kept in soft acid water.
I told you wrong. The tank k is sitting at 7.5 PH. That's a little low for the peacock and a little high for the electric. Think it will work? Everyone is eating and getting along. There is some flashing going on. Is it possibly because of the wigglers?

A pH of 7.5 is fine for the peacock.
What is the GH of the water?
Your water supply company can tell you the GH and KH or you can check their website. Find out what the test is measured in too (ppm, dGH or something else).

If your water company can't help, take a glass of tap water to a pet shop and get them to test it. Write the results down in numbers at the time and find out what unit the test is measured in (ppm, dGH, etc).

---------------------
If fish are rubbing against objects in the tank, there is either a water quality issue or an external protozoan infection (white spot, velvet, costia, etc).

Post pictures and video of the fish so we can check them for disease.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back