Eheim 2213 Enough?

The 2213 is rated to 250 litres - so It should be fine.

Also - I dont understand how adding a powerhead would improve the filtration. Isnt the fitlration limited by how well the water flows through the filter - not through the tank? (if it flows too fast through the filter then the bacteria would possibly struggle to reproduce.
 
Is an eheim 2213 enough to filter a 125l planted tank if the flow of the tank is increased with a hydor koralia style powerhead rated at 3000lph?

thanks


i would suggest not. 390lph flow rate gives 3x turnover, roughly. so its a bit short on puff for a 125l perhaps the 2215, better still the 2217.
 
Imo, the volume is about 30 gallons, I think a 2213 would be fine. Can run an internal alongside or bump up to a 2215 if you wish.
 
Well Ive got the juwel currently running with it, but I wanted to take the juwel out.

The powerhead just increases the flow, which, for planted tanks is essential. Also, planted tanks are not always heavily stocked and mine isnt either, this is why I was asking as the bioload isnt really that high so my 2213 that I currently have would cope, imo.

Thanks for the answers people :)
 
In my rio 125 I have the eheim 2075 pro 3 model and its :good:

A little pricey but worth it, I also took out the jewul internal, looks so much better now

Andy
 
Well Ive got the juwel currently running with it, but I wanted to take the juwel out.

The powerhead just increases the flow, which, for planted tanks is essential. Also, planted tanks are not always heavily stocked and mine isnt either, this is why I was asking as the bioload isnt really that high so my 2213 that I currently have would cope, imo.

Thanks for the answers people :)

i quite agree. with a small bio load and plants, it should be up to it.
but 3x flow is not high. and you state you need flow, for your plants. a power head will increase water movement, but unless it goes though the filter, that's all it is doing, moving water.
 
Well Ive got the juwel currently running with it, but I wanted to take the juwel out.

The powerhead just increases the flow, which, for planted tanks is essential. Also, planted tanks are not always heavily stocked and mine isnt either, this is why I was asking as the bioload isnt really that high so my 2213 that I currently have would cope, imo.

Thanks for the answers people :)

i quite agree. with a small bio load and plants, it should be up to it.
but 3x flow is not high. and you state you need flow, for your plants. a power head will increase water movement, but unless it goes though the filter, that's all it is doing, moving water.


Yes, the flow of the water is needed so that all the nutrients are kept evenly in the water column and as these nutrients will flow through the plants it keeps the whole tank a lot more stable :)
 
Personally I'd go for a bigger filter, it's easier to distribute flow effectively through a spraybar than it is with a single powerhead. That is unless you can use a spraybar with the powerhead.
 
tbh, i think everyone always goes on about turnover of your tank and the numbers but i personally think buying a filter two times as big as your tank your gunna be fine. so yer 2213
 
Personally I'd go for a bigger filter, it's easier to distribute flow effectively through a spraybar than it is with a single powerhead. That is unless you can use a spraybar with the powerhead.
that would also be my view. and would the fact that the bio mass has chance to effect all the water,not help distribute nitrates around the tank? which, i assume, is no bad thing.

tbh, i think everyone always goes on about turnover of your tank and the numbers but i personally think buying a filter two times as big as your tank your gunna be fine. so yer 2213
a valid point. but are you sure you have looked into why flow is seen as so important? with the fact being that the power/flow listed on the box, is nowhere near the true flow of the filter. how do you define two times as big as the tank?
if you mean 2x tank volume per hour, only the foolhardy imo, would use such a poor flow rate. even in a planted tank. even more so, if you use the Fairytale's, used as Flow rate, by many manufacturers.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top