90cm (3ft) River Scape Filtration

April_ht

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 25, 2021
Messages
67
Reaction score
35
Points
18
Location
Australia
Hi all,

I’m in the process of setting up a 90cm river-style tank, only holds about 10 gallons as it’s very shallow and narrow. I’ve seen similar setups in here of people using a manifold system for filtration and flow, but I was hoping to get more inspiration on other setups that require a little less work. What are the other options for filtering tanks like these with a higher flow rate?

Photo for reference, my first attempt at repairing a tank so hopefully it’ll hold! Couldn’t pass it up for free
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3350.webp
    IMG_3350.webp
    263.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3379.webp
    IMG_3379.webp
    205.1 KB · Views: 112
The only thing I can think of is higher rated canister filter. If not enough flow with that alone, it can work in tandem with a powerhead at one end of the aquarium. Which would give you quite a bit of flow being pushed to the other end, where the fish can retreat to if you give them cover (rocks/driftwood). MD did something like that a few years back for his LFS. I'll have a peek at the YT channel and try to find the vid :)
 
I like putting a hang on back filter on the up stream end of a tank, to get the surface water to look like it's flowing... are you planning on filling the tank fully, or "terrariuming" a good portion, with a stream down the middle somehow???

if you are planning on filling the tank, maybe a narrow hob filter like this could be used...


otherwise maybe a canister filter, with the outlet hose upstream, and the inlet down stream...

the filter linked is only 6 inches wide ( listed in product specifications )
 
Last edited:
The issue is turbulence at the end. You'd have to figure that out. The hard flow will smack that glass and the flow will be all weird. Laminar flow pumps are really expensive, and too big for that tank.

So what riverine fish are you considering? You might want an HOB without a really strong flow, and make it a 'brook tank' with sheltering rocks to pretend to be boulders along the bottom.
 
The issue is turbulence at the end. You'd have to figure that out. The hard flow will smack that glass and the flow will be all weird. Laminar flow pumps are really expensive, and too big for that tank.

So what riverine fish are you considering? You might want an HOB without a really strong flow, and make it a 'brook tank' with sheltering rocks to pretend to be boulders along the bottom.
I was honestly really hoping for hillstream loaches, everything else would work around them pretty much. It doesn’t need to be torrential river, I just want enough flow to keep the little guys happy really. Otherwise if I can’t achieve the high flow I’ll scrap those and go with something similar, but hillstreams have been a want of mine for about 5 years. I’m using my old HOB filter for now just to kickstart the cycling process but maybe I will just go with a higher rated HOB? I’m still in the process of gathering ideas but I didn’t even consider the flow at the end of the tank causing issues, thank you for pointing that out!
 
I've kept a lot of Central African rapids fish, and how hard the water smacks the end matters. We like to think of the water running in a linear direction, but that only happens in tanks that are either specially designed or wide, front to back. That tank sounds narrow - a 10 gallon won't be great for hillstreams at the best of times I'd aim for something larger. 30 inches across the front at least.

I'd aim for an HOB rated for 30 gallons or slightly more, on the end of the tank. With a long low ten, you may have trouble fitting it on. The body of the filter has to be smaller than the end glass.

I have one old long low homemade 8 gallon tank, and to be honest, I only use it for fry.
 
I've kept a lot of Central African rapids fish, and how hard the water smacks the end matters. We like to think of the water running in a linear direction, but that only happens in tanks that are either specially designed or wide, front to back. That tank sounds narrow - a 10 gallon won't be great for hillstreams at the best of times I'd aim for something larger. 30 inches across the front at least.

I'd aim for an HOB rated for 30 gallons or slightly more, on the end of the tank. With a long low ten, you may have trouble fitting it on. The body of the filter has to be smaller than the end glass.

I have one old long low homemade 8 gallon tank, and to be honest, I only use it for fry.
This tank actually is 35 inches across the front! It measures 35 x 8 x 8.5 (inches) so quite small but it’ll be primarily nano fish and low stocked anyways. Yeah hillstreams would be the dream but gotta do a lot more research and figure out what’ll be most suitable still, I appreciate your advice, you’ve given me much to think on. I’m just wondering if I’ll need a power head at the other end to push water towards the filter, or will the water just flow naturally back the other way?
 
I like putting a hang on back filter on the up stream end of a tank, to get the surface water to look like it's flowing... are you planning on filling the tank fully, or "terrariuming" a good portion, with a stream down the middle somehow???

if you are planning on filling the tank, maybe a narrow hob filter like this could be used...


otherwise maybe a canister filter, with the outlet hose upstream, and the inlet down stream...

the filter linked is only 6 inches wide ( listed in product specifications )
It’ll be filled fully, I will build a lid for it eventually just in case of jumping fish too 😅no think a HOB filter is the go for me, gives more room inside the tank too. Appreciate your help, thank you! I’ll check out the description for that one, see if it’s a decent fit!
 
With the dimensions you have given, you do have other options too. A YouTuber I watch has made some beautiful natural tanks with both aquatic and emersed plant growth using shallow tanks. Maybe not as long dimensions. But I reckon with some banked corners for emersed plants and a long piece of driftwood in the centre, including a selection of smaller aquatic plants. You could make a natural home for some smaller rasbora or tetra species (water parameters permitting). Just an idea for you to ponder on :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top