Eggs In Peat

mikev

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having no idea what to do with the eggs of A.striatum I received in the mail. The eggs were unexpectedly shipped in some brown material (likely peat), the fish I believe is a plant spawner, so peat probably was used for packaging.

I've opened the contents to a 6"x9"x1" tray with water and now have what looks like a soup... I cannot see any eggs in it, and not likely to see a fry if one hatches either (my A.australe fry tends to stay at the very bottom initially, A.striatum is probably the same way). Cannot really do water changes in this soup either. :(

Could you tell me what I'm supposed to do, please?

(Just in case: the water I used in the tray was neutral with TDS=50... I was afraid to play with pH since the peat will lower it and I don't know by how much.)

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom.

Hi Mike
Dont panic.
I use margarine tubs to hatch eggs of all species.
Striatum are fairly easy to hatch and rear.
Fill your tub with around 60mm of water add the peat with the eggs and tilt it a little until the peat falls to one end.
I float my tubs in an aquarium to keep them warm.
The idea of the tilt is to enable you to see and catch the fry (using a pipette) in the shallow clear end.
I then transfer the fry to a clean margarine tub and begin feeding newly hatched brineshrimp and microworm.
The tubs must be kept clean and small water-changes performed daily.
Feed the fry 2-3 times a day, ideally 3.
I hope that helped you somewhat
Regards
C

thanks, BigC,

rearing I'm not concerned about, I raised a few a.australe (and lots of non-killies), and have artemia and paramecium on hand. Temp is at 80F. The concern are the water parameters and how to get rid of the peat so I can see (I may not even have eggs inside).
I'll try the tilting idea now but I'm afraid it will simply bury the eggs inside peat.

You will have to trust the seller as to how many eggs you have been sent.
It will bury the eggs somewhat but if you watch the tub the fry will on occasion swim to the shallow clear end and can be easily caught and transferred. Temp is too high though. Dont need Paramoecium for this species.
Buy a small magnifying lens and a torch, it's best to have these around
Regards
C

Got you -- thank you.

I moved the tray to 72F. Tilting did not do much, and neither do visors (I have the tools)....I guess I'll have to trust the vendor and watch for the fry, supposed to be 20 eggs, but I fail to see any. I know they don't need paramecium, but I have it, and adding a little to the container may keep the fry alive -- or am I wrong here? Actually, surprisingly my microworm culture is still alive too, so perhaps put a few microworms in the hatching container? They should not spoil the water too much I hope...

Just a word on feeding in the hatching container....Dont do it...
There will be enough micro organisms in the water upon adding the peat, but this will only give you a small window in which to work in. Striatum fry are a good size compared to some other killifish species, so you will be able to see them under good lighting. Use a pipette and catch them, transfer them to a clean tub as mentioned above
Regards
C.

Well, this did not work too well... I got one hatch... scanned the peat extensively but could not find any additional eggs. How much point in raising a single killie is not so clear :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back