Egg like sack hanging on black molly.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hitzl

Reaction score
Hey guys! First time poster here. I have not been able to find any info on this issue so I created an account in the hopes of someone helping me or at least informing me on what this issue is so I can avoid it happening again.
Little backstory: my apartment building cought on fire and I had to leave my fish behind for a couple hours with out electricity (no heating) in the middle of winter (-3). This was about 4 days ago. I was able to retrieve my fishes and transport them to a small 7 liter aquarium in the hopes of saving them. They were halfway frozen but they all made it through the night. I collected my 50 liter tank from the smoke damaged apartment, cleaned it and ran the filter for the night with some quick save chemicals to try to balance it out. The fish were not doing great in the small tank so decided to put them in the big one. Obviously the water wasn't in balance as it should be (I usually run it for a week or two before testing the water and adding fish) Needless to say it was a horrible situation for everyone. I just wanted to give them a fighting chance.
I have 5 black mollies 2 shrimp and 2 bottom feeders. Everyone seems to be doing ok. Eating and looking lively. Fingers crossed they would make it through. But yesterday night, within the span of 2 hours that I didn't check the tank, one of the mollies had a horrible abscess coming from the belly/anus. It looks like weird red eggs, empty. I thought it was her guts but it really looks like eggs.
I understand that the stress of the situation had probably a lot to do with this... I'm just worried she is suffering and maybe I should put her out of her misery... Anyway... I've attached a pic.

Attachments

• received_630836948233025.jpeg
    received_630836948233025.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
All this was 5 days ago btw, I saved them about 6 hours after the fire was put out and we could return to retrieve our documents/important things.

I have no idea what that is....but it doesn't look good

I am no expert in fish disease but it looks like a prolapse or cancerous growth to me, either way I can't see the outcome being a positive one. Personally I would euthanise.

tbh if it is eggs she might be birthing prematurely

I am no expert in fish disease but it looks like a prolapse or cancerous growth to me, either way I can't see the outcome being a positive one. Personally I would euthanise.
I agree, doesn't look good. Just was weird that it appeared so quick... :(

sometimes it goes back in by itself, other times the fish die. see how it goes over the next 24 hours.
yeah just the day before yesterday one of my small male guppies got this and he fixed himself today

Yeah I would say wait for a day, but if the fish declines or after a day it doesn't get better I would euthanize. I've never seen a prolapse that big before

The fish died. BUT she left a couple spawn. And another molly a day after spawned like 30 more. I think she had a premature birth thing, stress and environment probably. So far everyone is doing good. PH finally in balance. Babies are healthy and hungry

The fish died. BUT she left a couple spawn. And another molly a day after spawned like 30 more. I think she had a premature birth thing, stress and environment probably. So far everyone is doing good. PH finally in balance. Babies are healthy and hungry
sorry for your loss, i hope the babies grow up fast!

Most reactions

Back