Eels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

val

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I absolutely love eels, but I'm afraid that there isn't an eel small enough to fit in a 29 gallon tank. I would buy this eel a long time in the future so that he would have the whole tank to himself. Are there any small eels or am I just getting my hopes up?

Valerie

hmmm, I'll read up on some and see if there is a small species, I have a teeny one who I've yet to postively identify, it's only about 4 inches long & it's soooo sweet, hand feeds and climbs all over my arm when I'm cleaning the tank

Peacock Eel
Macrognathus siamensis

0485_150X125[1].jpg

Common Name
Peacock Eel

Other Common Names
--

Scientific Name
Macrognathus siamensis

Family
Mastacembelidae

Community
General

Class
Eels

Temperature
78ºF

Swimming Range
Bottom

Adult Length
9 inches

Feeding Habits
Prefers small live foods such as crustaceans, earthworms, fish, crickets, mealworms, blood worms, glass worms, brine shrimp and tubifex worms. Frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, beef heart, plankton and glass worms are also accepted.

Compatibility
Peaceful with the same sized fish, but will eat smaller fish.

Habitat
Thailand: Decorate heavily with rocks, driftwood and live plants.

Breeding
Unknown

Additional Comments
Do to their adult length these are the best eels for a community aquarium. Small lobsters, crayfish, shrimp and crabs are not recommended for tankmates as they will be eaten by the eel.

Years ago I had 2 eels that were about 6" long. I can not recall what there name was. They were true eels, not the Spiny eels.

I may be mistaken, I thought there weren't any FW "True" eels. Even the "Snowflake" morray (which is actually brackish) isn't a "true" eel, though close. The only one that I can think of is the American/European Eel, and it is brackish and then goes marine. Can anyone clear this up?

I kept the FW moray in FW for about 2 years. He grew from around 9" to about 16" and double in girth. Was a kickass eel. I am gonna get another sometime. But i never had probs with him in FW. Of course until i left a tiny hole in the top and he jumped out :(

European eels can live in any water,over here i catch them in brackish and freshwater rivers,in lakes and in canals.They only enter pure seawater when they get the urge to breed and then they swim all the way to america to do it.

i was wondering if anyone thinks a bichir eel and a pecock eel would have any problems together.

None at all,i have 3 peacocks in with 2 of my bichirs and they all get on well,just make sure the eel is at least half the size of the bichir.

wouldnt the peacock eel get harrassed by the bichir eel if it is smaller than it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back