Eco Sphere. Is It A Good Idea Or Not

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm still looking to get shrimp and I have found this thing called an Eco sphere it's a self contained Eco system with a couple of shrimp in. You don't need to change the water or even feed the shrimp. I have attached a picture but what do you guys think from Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 90
I would want to know WHY you don't need to change water, and WHY you don't need to feed the shrimp. There cannot be an inexhaustible supply of food for the shrimp in there.

IMHO, if something seems 'too good to be true', it usually is.

I'd pass.

I have attached a diagram of how they work and also I have been reading reviews and apparently they can live for up to 7 years although the company says only 2 or 3 years from Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 83
Agreed with TLM.

Shrimps and snails (if you're considering these as well) all produce bio load of ammonia.
So therefore, if left untreated will more than likely see the demise of these shrimps and snails.

Water changes are a must, and IMO at very least a simple filter powered by a air pump will benefit.

Also a heater may be needed as well, dependant where you're based really.

Having a simple filter and heater in that little sphere will ruin the look of it IMO.

Think you'd be much better off with a small 5 gal nano tank just for shrimps and snails.
There are lots of these little nano tanks of various designs on the market as well as 2nd hand bargains.

Oh, by the way, as for not feeding them, not sure where you got that idea.

Ok thanks and the website that you can get these from says that you don't need to feed them as they eat the algae. Also these are marine shrimp don't know if that changes anything. Also there are not a fish tank they are all sealed up with everything inside that the shrimp need apparently. I was not going to add snails and the reason I was looking at this is because I did not want a tank that the shrimp could get out off and also I don't want to add more money to my electricity bills by getting a heater and filter and everything from Tom

Here is the link to the website
http://www.ecospheres.co.uk

I think the diagram is too simplistic. Whilst shrimp don't have a huge bioload, they will still produce ammonia - the bacteria will turn that into nitrite, more bacteria will turn that into nitrate, and then? What deals with the nitrate?

The algae is supposed to... 

But I wouldn't risk it.  I don't think its a good design, I think its far too small.  NASA may have developed these, but they are limited by far more things than we are.  Size, weight, etc. are far greater concern to them.  We have the space, we have the ability to provide a more 'proper' home for the shrimp. 

My final note on the topic:  Surviving isn't thriving.  You can have one without the other.

Ok thanks for the advice I won't bother getting it or I might get it take the shrimp out and see how the algae grows from Tom

I have saw these in catalogs that I get in the mail... I've wondered exactly how they work.
It would be nice to get them and see how they work. But I'd want to remove the shrimp. But then I don't know if it would function how it is suppose to.

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do from Tom

If you take the shrimp out of the equation how are you going to get the Co2 and organic and inorganic waste to feed the algae!

I've seen them, they're pretty enough but they have a finite life span. They're also fairly picky about their environment in terms of light levels and temperature, but they work for a while.

The principle is simple, add enough controlled brine shrimp and algae along with the right bacteria to start a nutrient cycle and seal. The algae will eat the nutrients, the shrimp the algae and the bacteria the shrimp waste and the decomposing shrimp bodies, resulting in nutrients.

Sadly, like all of these simple ideas, they're fine while they remain in careful balance, but any changes outside tolerance in the environment they're in and you have a dead ball.

I found a really good website about those recently and I really want to share the information  : http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php

Essentially, these shrimps are an endangered species from hawaii often wild caught. They are very very resilient and need very little to survive but over time, they will die in there. It basically is a small torture room for those shrimps since they will eventually lack nutriment and die.

So if you are however still interested in these shrimps the guys on this website offer a very good guide on how to keep them in a nano tanks and it's very VERY easy to keep them healthy and for long if you do it right and properly. Also, he says he sells the ''only'' captive bred opae ula shrimps  and he ships them worldwide it seems. People on the forum over there seems very happy and glad about the service. You should go over there a little and look them up. 

So have fun reading all the information on the website and PLEASE. Don't get that Ecosphere.  And DO share the information! Thanks a lot! 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back