Ebjd - Fish Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blimey, my ears were burning. I haven't been on here in a few months as i've had some difficulties in life. So i pop on and an EBJD thread catches my eye, and i find people talking about my jack.

Fantastic to see another EBJD on the forum, its great to see more people taking them on, they need more exposure (positive exposure). Mainly due to the fact they are such weak fish, which is a shame. As it has been qouted, and i agree, that the EBJD is one of the most beautifull fresh water fish. Ludwig qouted (i think) how they could pass as marine they are that beautifull (i won't argue with that!) Keep a close on him, and keep your water changes steady and constant. The first 12 months i've found to be the worst, as i've lost two now in the initial 12 months, after this my Jack really flourished.

Very rewarding fish, and if you can get yours to pair with your regular jack you'd have a shot at breeding some more EB's. Complicated process, one that i never got to have a good go at. Mine bred 5 times, getting to free swimming fry on the last 2 occasions. Unfortunately as a few will know, it came to an abrupt end.

I'll be keeping an eye on this journal!

James

Hiya James, I wondered how long it would take for your spidey senses to start tingeling lol.

I normally do two water changes a week at around 40% each time to keep the water nice and fresh. At the moment though I have been doing it every other day as trying to battle an outbreak of white spot. Looks like I am winning now though as saw the last spots disappear yesterday. Should be back on track next week. My female JD had a few spots but it was mainly my severum and barbs who got hit. The little fella didnt seem to get affected by it.

Anyway, if he grows to anything like as handsome as yours was then the plan is to get them breeding if I can. I got my female a year ago this week and she was around an inch and a half in length. She is about 6 or so inches now and built like a tank.

I was re-rading your old journal last night and getting excited as to what the future may hold for mine. If he does pass away then fair enough, I will be gutted, but that's the risk I suppose with them isn't it. I had wanted one since I first saw yours though and had only seen them twice in the UK and once in the states (where they were suprisingly cheap).

Its good to be back too Matt! Getting my fishy fix again recently. More on that in my own thread which should appear here in the journal section soon. Less of that, and more on the Jacks in here.....

...Its good your seemingly over the worst of the whitespot. I assume you've raised the temperature to 30C, speeds up the life cycle of the parasite, and thus with regular water changes you can reduce the outbreak quicker. If you already know this, bonus! If your female is about 6" she will definitely have reached maturity, so its just a case of nurturing your lil man along.

If he grows to anything like mine i'll be chuffed too! I really miss mine, and have toyed with the idea of getting another. If you don't mind me asking would you mind saying where you got him, and for how much. Appreciate if you don't want to divulge that info on the open forum, or in pm, or not at all. Just curious. Yeah American specimens seem to be cheaper, but i haven't seen as many quality specimens. I really dislike Jeff Rapps specimens also (sorry Matt). Importing them pushes up the cost also from over seas (America & Asia). Not sure on British (& European?) breeders, i don't know of any. I've only ever seen them in the shops twice myself, and haven't seen them in atleast 2 years.

From your pictures so far he looks like he has potential. Doesn't look as mottled as some specimens and has good shape/finnage. If it were me i'd call yours Bubba (think Forest Gump), yours has quite a big bottom lip haha! Great fish, and i'm excited for you to see how he matures. Don't be shy with the pictures!!!

I raised the temperature to 28 degrees as as far as I could see, black ruby barbs are can not handle much above this and I did not want to stress them out too much. I have also been dosing with JBL Punktol. I normally keep the tank at 24 degrees.

Haha yeh I noticed his lip when I first saw him, he seems to be growing into it a bit more but it makes him look a bit grumpy. Suppose that is quite normal for jacks. I got him from the world of water in altrincham for £25. They had a few in the abyss around the same time, but they were more expensive and did not look as nice. Mine was the only one in the shop, but seemed to be trying to square up to a juvenile dovii in the next tank. Not sure if that is a good sign lol.

I am planning on putting pictures up every weekend so you will be asking me to stop soon :lol:

I nearly had a heart attack this morning. Got up early to spend some time with the tank before work (I like to think of it as bonding time :lol:). Anyway, the new fella normally comes to the front straight away, but I did not see him. One of my Pictus, which is known for eating other fish (dont ask...) was swimming around with a very full stomach looking very smug. I was convinced that it must have eaten him and was wondering if he would still be alive if I had a look inside.

Luckily after around half an hour, the little fella popped his head out of the smallest cave in a piece of bogwood. I have got to stop worrying about him so much, as it is becoming a bit of an obsession :crazy:

I nearly had a heart attack this morning. Got up early to spend some time with the tank before work (I like to think of it as bonding time :lol:). Anyway, the new fella normally comes to the front straight away, but I did not see him. One of my Pictus, which is known for eating other fish (dont ask...) was swimming around with a very full stomach looking very smug. I was convinced that it must have eaten him and was wondering if he would still be alive if I had a look inside.

Luckily after around half an hour, the little fella popped his head out of the smallest cave in a piece of bogwood. I have got to stop worrying about him so much, as it is becoming a bit of an obsession :crazy:

I'm so glad i didn't then read;

"I continued to gut the Pim, the selfish blighter, after convincing myself he had eaten my prized EBJD. Upon inspection it turned out he had eaten his pellets.....then i saw my Jack poking out of the wood looking horrified."

Phew, that could of read so much worse. But seriously, don't panic yourself with him ;) He will be fineeeee :lol:

I'm so glad i didn't then read;

"I continued to gut the Pim, the selfish blighter, after convincing myself he had eaten my prized EBJD. Upon inspection it turned out he had eaten his pellets.....then i saw my Jack poking out of the wood looking horrified."

Phew, that could of read so much worse. But seriously, don't panic yourself with him ;) He will be fineeeee :lol:
Wrong as it is, your version made me lol.

Glad to hear that your fish is okay.

Just a quick update today as I have been updating my hillstream log for ages tonight!

Nothing much has changed with this little fellow, apart from the fact that he has grown a little. He is eating well and gets fed between two and three times per day. He has picked a cave half way up a piece of bogwood I have stood up on the right hand side of my tank. It used to be my Gold Nuggets home, but she moved out a few months ago to pastures new (the other side of the tank).

Here are some pics (sorry for the reflection but it was the best that I could do as he would not sit still):

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

:lol: just noticed my Severum trying to get on the second picture. Show off!!

Been trying to get a picture of my female JD all week, but due to a combination of her being a moody girl and me working very late, I have only managed to get this one of her coming out of her hidy hole :rolleyes:

DSC_0357.jpg

There was a thread on here a while back when she was a lot smaller and it was decided she was. She is around 6 inches now. Would have thought dorsal fin would be longer and flowing now if was male? I thought females had more colourful faces aswell with dempseys?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back