Easy plants to take care of for a 5 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No no no!! Java ferns MUST be put on decor!

Java ferns (Microsorum pteropus) can be either planted or put on decor to be honest, I've done both ways and grows absolutely fine, quite a pretty plant and a nice addition of a easy to care for plant imho.

Just do not plant or cover the rhizome of the java fern into the substrate is all.

Any substrate should be fine, gravel or sand etc

Grows to about 15cm tall, addition of liquid ferts will be beneficial but not essential.

Sometimes you might see black/brown spots on the leaves after a while, this is not a sign of disease as some might assume, the spots are part of the normal growth as is sporangia (hormone or reproductive stages I think if remember right)

Just to make it clear - both java fern and anubias have rhizomes. This is a thick stem like thing which has leaves growing out of one side and roots growing out of the other side. The rhizome should never be covered, but it is OK for the roots to be covered. They can be grown with the rhizome on top of the substrate and the roots in the substrate, but because it is all too easy to accidentally bury the rhizome most people grow it attached to decor.
I attach mine with sewing thread. By the time the thread rots, the roots cling to the decor like ivy to a wall.

With a 5 gallon tank, you need to use plants which will not grow huge, so check the potential size before buying.

This site is useful for researching plants, you can even search by difficulty - easy, medium or advanced.

I've recently set up a 10 gallon Quarantine Tank, with lots of live and fast-growing plants.
I kept it simple with;
Elodea canadensis, Canadian Pondweed
Limnophila heterophylla
Hygrophila difformis,
Water Wisteria

I also added two lumps of wood, with Java Fern attached, for looks and security and some Bacopa caroliniana and some Alternanthera rosaefolia from established tanks, to facilitate a rapid cycling.
Floating Salvinia auriculata was finally added, for nitrogen control.

DSCN4262.JPG

Obviously, with only half the space I had, you need to reduce the plant numbers.

unravel the java fern and cut the rhizome into manageable pieces with at least one leaf. use gel superglue to attach java fern to wood and rocks. You just need the tiniest little drop and the glue cures sufficiently for the plant to stay in place within about 30 secs. It will fully cure and turn whitish on contact with water. I like to put mine in any little grooves or crevices or on the backside of rock/wood so you can't see where it is glued. It will put out new shoots from the rhizome as well as from the leaves. The ones that grow from the leaves can be left to grow until they are a reasonable size and then you just pick them off and glue them to decor. It comes in several varieties - there is a branched leaf one called Windelov which is quite attractive IMO. It's growing really well in my nano and putting out lots of new shoots. In time you can achieve a lovely dense growth either from just letting it grow and/or by continually gluing on the new shoots that form on the leaves. I like to attach it to the base of a vertical object and over time it will slowly but surely creep upwards towards the light.

unravel the java fern and cut the rhizome into manageable pieces with at least one leaf. use gel superglue to attach java fern to wood and rocks. You just need the tiniest little drop and the glue cures sufficiently for the plant to stay in place within about 30 secs. It will fully cure and turn whitish on contact with water. I like to put mine in any little grooves or crevices or on the backside of rock/wood so you can't see where it is glued. It will put out new shoots from the rhizome as well as from the leaves. The ones that grow from the leaves can be left to grow until they are a reasonable size and then you just pick them off and glue them to decor. It comes in several varieties - there is a branched leaf one called Windelov which is quite attractive IMO. It's growing really well in my nano and putting out lots of new shoots. In time you can achieve a lovely dense growth either from just letting it grow and/or by continually gluing on the new shoots that form on the leaves. I like to attach it to the base of a vertical object and over time it will slowly but surely creep upwards towards the light.
If you have a 3D background in your tank you could also attach it to that to create a living wall effect at the back of your tank.

Yes, but mostly swords are in substrate and java ferns are kept out...

I've recently set up a 10 gallon Quarantine Tank, with lots of live and fast-growing plants.
I kept it simple with;
Limnophila heterophylla
Hygrophila difformis,
Water Wisteria

I also added two lumps of wood, with Java Fern attached, for looks and security and some Bacopa caroliniana and some Alternanthera rosaefolia from established tanks, to facilitate a rapid cycling.

View attachment 145909

Obviously, with only half the space I had, you need to reduce the plant numbers.
bacopa carolinana : best plant

I kept it simple with;
Limnophila heterophylla
Hygrophila difformis,
Water Wisteria

View attachment 145909

Your quarantine tank is better than my entire tank bruh😂

I just got some Java fern at my local aquarium store, aka the first store I’ve saw that actually has bettas in a fish tank. But anyways, here’s my 10 gallon, where do you guys think I should put it? And ye I know the title says 5 gallon but that didn’t actually work out.

Attachments

• 92D013CF-B006-4B72-811F-0B7C05F9881F.jpeg
    92D013CF-B006-4B72-811F-0B7C05F9881F.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 25
  • B65E9255-FB3E-4500-8742-36C3FC713608.jpeg
    B65E9255-FB3E-4500-8742-36C3FC713608.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 27
Wait I just saw a worm looking thing come out of my plant bruh, can someone explain what this is😂😂it was like a tiny white worm moving like crazy. It just went into the gravel. Should I be concerned??

Attachments

• F2A70865-C534-4B25-ADE2-6DB1B4867936.jpeg
    F2A70865-C534-4B25-ADE2-6DB1B4867936.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2FFDEFA3-141E-4C0A-AF73-9BFCDACEEE81.jpeg
    2FFDEFA3-141E-4C0A-AF73-9BFCDACEEE81.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DC13A310-E804-4D10-B337-8F34C154EC61.jpeg
    DC13A310-E804-4D10-B337-8F34C154EC61.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 28
I just got some Java fern at my local aquarium store, aka the first store I’ve saw that actually has bettas in a fish tank. But anyways, here’s my 10 gallon, where do you guys think I should put it? And ye I know the title says 5 gallon but that didn’t actually work out.
I think it’s awesome now & has enough plants, more than my betta has. Maybe mine needs more. 😛

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back