Easy Corals For Beginner?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

willtang3000

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm soon going to purchase my Orca 450 nano tank and I was wondering are there any corals out there that need lower lighting conditions and are hardy?
I'm trying to find out for 100% what lighting the Orca has but if anyone knows please let me know.
Also after the addition of live rock and live sand when should I add the corals?

Many thanks.

most lps and most softies. Which ones do you like?

Kenya Trees, Mushrooms, Zoas, etc etc etc. With few exceptions, Softies are easy to grow if you provide the right conditions. More LPS are pretty easy too. SPS is where it gets a bit tougher.

Also, make sure you know if a coral is photosynthetic or not. The ones that aren't can be a pain in the ass to feed (ahem...SUN CORALS)

I'm new to this so could you explain all the lps stuff to me please? :blush:
I'd love to get some zoas, is there anyhing I need to feed them such as artemia and how would I go about doing that?

Many thanks.

I'm soon going to purchase my Orca 450 nano tank and I was wondering are there any corals out there that need lower lighting conditions and are hardy?
I'm trying to find out for 100% what lighting the Orca has but if anyone knows please let me know.
Also after the addition of live rock and live sand when should I add the corals?

Many thanks.

I have exactly the same setup (Orca TL450) and have two tried 2 small corals, a Pulsing Xenia and a healthy Zoanthid colony. Both seem to be doing well.

uPhTA31v3z8GXnmhqqZYvkf_BRsD3s85.jpg

Softies are corals (or species related to corals) that lack a aragonite (calcium) skeleton. So, they are just flesh. Zoanthids and Mushrooms (Corallimorpharians) arent corals, but are sometimes called softies because they have similar care needs to corals, and they act similar to corals. So, sometimes, zoas and shrooms are called softies.

LPS stands for Large Polyp Stony coral, these are corals WITH an aragonite skeleton, but the main part of these corals is its flesh. LPS sometimes even have as much flesh as a softie (like "meat" corals such as brains etc.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back