Easy Breeders...

amyw2008

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol
Apart from 2 neons I have an empty 28ltr tank...
I would like to put something in there that will breed (and is colourful) so any suggestions would be great :)
 
Guppies are really easy to breed and there are so many beautiful varieties and colours.

Neons should be kept in groups of at least 6 or more or they get stressed.
 
Any of the common livebearers fit the bill, but IMO are too easy to be 'fun' to breed.
However examples would be: Guppys, Mollys, Platys

If it were me I'd want to try and breed Sparkling Gouramis in something that size.

Your main issues are:
Neons are more than likely going to eat any eggs that are laid.
The tank is very small, you need to be breeding very small fish and not many (which is a problem with livebearers)
If you have livebearers then you need to give the fry plenty of cover so they can hide once born.
If you have egg layers such as neons then you need somewhere else to house the eggs and/or fry otherwise the parents will eat them
If you have egg layers that play a parental role, then the tank will be 'ok' for awhile.

And in all instances if you want to keep a decent % of fry alive then you'll need a grow out tank...
 
Thanks guys :)
Tank space isnt a problem at the moment as I have 3 empty tanks which I could set up if needed.

I think I will try guppys as I suppose (if I get reallly over-run) I could give them away/put the fry in the oscar tank...

Also I only have 2 neons as I did have 10 but 7 just died the first night I had them and one escaped a temp breeding net in the oscar tank and got eaten!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top