easiest plant

thellama

Fishaholic
Reaction score
besides moss...
looking for something that will live in a tank with lights...

i dont want to have to buy anything to help em grow..

is there any sort of plant that will just grow with the lights only ?

I'm assuming you have gravel or sand too. But after lots of trial and error i found Java ferns and anubias plants grow well and are hardy(+ fish don't eat them) I've also got what the shop call a water onion, which looks a bit looks a spring onion and continously grows lovely long flowing leaves and nothing seems to kill it!! And all i've got is one light and gravel and internal filters. Good luck

Hornwort does not require gravel as well !! Its a floating type and grows like crazy.

I'd say the Java ferns. Mine stayed pretty healthy in a 5 gallon tank with incandescent lights (and I hardly ever turned the lights on).

Easiest in my experience are anubias and java fern. They can stay alive in the lowest of low lighting, although they will grow better with more.

Here's an awesome place to buy plants from. There's a link for low light plants so you can get some ideas.

I've bought anubias, java fern, hygrophilia, cryptocorynes, lutea, and several other types plants from them... all are doing great with just the lighting that came with my tanks.

hmm this java fern seems popular..

my tank gets lots of light... from the light in the hood.. i get algea on the sides of the tank from the lights alone...

i have java moss.. which grows like crazy.. so i think im gonna have to find some java ferns.. thanks everyone !

Yeah... Java Ferns are great, they'll thrive in any sort of tank more or less. I even have some in a coldwater tank with goldfish and because of their tough leaves the goldfish don't bother them at all. When you go looking to buy Java Ferns don't get put off by the little black spots on the undersides of the leaves. Lots of people think it's a parasite or a disease and they don't bother buying the plant, but it's actually to do with reproduction. The spots are sporangia.
One of the cool things about Java Ferns is that on the ends of some of the older leaves you'll get little baby plants growing, which you can give away to friends or what-have-you. In my experience they do grow pretty slowly, but that might be because they are in a coldwater tank. Either way you'll notice new leaves unfurling near the base of the plant after a while. Despite the fact that Java Ferns can grow on rocks and wood (by attaching them with a rubber band or fishing line), you CAN plant them in gravel. Just be sure not to cover the roots up completely otherwise you run the risk of the rhizome rotting. Just plonk it on the gravel surface and scatter a thin layer of gravel around the bottom... just enough to stop fish bothering it and to make sure it doesn't float off!

Java Fern as everyone has said is very hardy and won't get eaten. Hornwort is the opposite almost, grows so quickly and covers the surface of your tank before you know it, lots of fish love it!

... hornwort is also a good oxygenator and gives off algae inhibiting chemicals.

After java moss, the plant(s) I'd have to say are the 'hardest to kill' are anubias.

However, personally I've found that java fern and anubias don't do well unless they're in low light -- anything over 1.33 watts per gallon, and the java fern gets brown spots, and green spot algae grows on the long-lived anubias leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back